Simonton Asure?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Flandry

Simonton Asure?

#1 Post by Flandry »

What a terrific forum with great contributors! I've been lurking here for a little while trying to learn as much as I can and want to give a big thank you to everyone!

I'm on a budget and am seriously considering Simonton's new Asure windows for my home. Since they just came out and information is scarce and I'm looking for any advice and opinions.

The Asure appears to incorporate the stepped sill of the now discontinued 5300 in a narrower frame with a thinner constant force coil spring (.5" vs. .75"). I've been told that, even fully optioned out, they would still be significantly cheaper than the Simonton 5500s many of you consider to be decent. I have to admit, the Asure windows also look pretty nice. I found thermal and structural performance data here:

http://www.mcclurejohnston.com/content/ ... sting-data

After reading many posts here, the options I thinking to get are: Double Strength Glass, Prosolar Low-E, Argon, Supercept, and Extruded Aluminum Screens.

Because wind can, on occasion, be an issue (I live in tornado alley), I'm also wondering if the DP 35 upgrade (DP 20 is standard) would be worthwhile. I've been told it adds sash reinforcement and a slotted plug. I'm not so keen on the slotted plug as it sort of looks like the extra hole worsens the air infiltration numbers, which already seem mediocre compared to higher-end windows. A triple stepped sill can also be added that takes the rating to 40, but I'm not sure it's worth the added expense.

Thank you for your help!

Windows on Washington

Re: Simonton Asure?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Thanks for finding that information. I have been looking for it for a while.

That window is a bit of a leaker by comparison to most of the units that I would recommend.

At the end of the day, it still is based in somewhat on the 5050 which was the entry level Simonton.

Have you seen what else is out there yet? You might be able to find a better window in the same price range as that Asure.

I always tells folks that if the difference between a good and great window is only a few bucks, stretch it out a bit because the investment over the life of the window is very slight and usually worth it.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

Where are you buying your windows from? I would look at upgradingto 9800 or looking at other brands. Sometimes a better window can also be a few bucks less as well.

Flandry

#4 Post by Flandry »

I've removed Champion and Pella due to price and their pocket sill designs. Also out is Alside after what I've read here. Sunrise looks nice, but is half again as much. Their Essentials line is about 20-25% more than the Asure and the air infiltration numbers are better, but is it 25% more window than the Asure? Soft-Lite isn't available in my state (Alabama). Gorrell dealers want to sell Simonton due to distribution and warranty support concerns. I haven't made a concerted effort to see if there are any Okna dealers, but haven't seen any jump out Who else should I look at? Also, does anyone know how much more (roughly) comparable 5500 windows run?

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

I don't have a pricing on the Asure line yet but would estimate 15% on the cost of the window only, but it all comes down to what the dealer is charging. I would opt for the sash reinforcement since this would address any sagging issues and help air infiltration and DP number as well. The upgrades may put you into the Sunrise pricing. Gorrell May be a safe way to go with Soft-lite buying them out, maybe others can chime in on this.

Other windows to consider would be Polaris Ultra Weld,Ply-Gem 5000 series, That new window Delaware Mike likes.

randy

#6 Post by randy »

The Essentials is not worth a 25% premium. While the AL rating is much better, Sunrise doesn't offer a low solar Low-E in the Essentials line. The lowest you can get is a .28 or .29, which really isn't sufficient for Alabama, especially with the new Energy Star guidelines that are coming soon.

Flandry

#7 Post by Flandry »

Thanks Todd. I didn't know about those two. I'll look into them. I was concerned about flex too. DP 35 is very affordable. DP 40 only changes the sill. DP 50 is an also an option. But that'd be needless overkill wouldn't it? BTW, what window does Delaware Mike like?

Randy, that's what I was thinking. When I said 20% more, that was including the options I'd listed on the Asure. As you mentioned, some things are not available on the Essentials. Double strength glass is another I was told.

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

I'm not crazy about either the Asure or the Essentials. I don't think that I'd pay too much extra for the Essentials over the Asure. The fit and finish should be better on the Sunrise product, but Sunrise designed that window to keep dealers loyal to them as their other lines can be a little pricey. If the Simonton product can be tailored more to your needs, than it would be the clear choice since the Essentials may not have the regionally appropriate glass low-e coating as Randy pointed out.