Okna and DIY?

For those self-installers
JudgeSmails

Okna and DIY?

#1 Post by JudgeSmails »

5 or 6 years ago I did a DIY window replacement in my previous home, using Lowes as the supplier. I believe the brand they sold me was reliabilt. I'm handy and the job wasn't tough. Spent the time to insure a square fit, and properly insulated and sealed based on best practice info gleaned from online sources. The windows performed OK, but I've since become even more handy and better experienced DIY'er to know that I should have used a better product.

I'm now in a different home in Northern VA and need to do another window replacement project. I'm trying to stay away from Lowes or HD as the supplier for this round, and would prefer to source a better product like Okna. Does anyone know if those are available to a DIY'er via a NoVa supply house, or will a local dealer sell direct? I imagine part of the warranty for the higher end window is contingent on a certified installation, so I may be out of luck even if I can source them. If not Okna, what is a good quality window a DIY'er may have access to around here?

I may consider outsourcing this if that's the only way to get a better quality window, but since I've already done it and I enjoyed it... I figured I'd give it another shot.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Okna and DIY?

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you contact WOW they will be able to help you out with which ever path you take.

JudgeSmails

#3 Post by JudgeSmails »

Thanks. After reviewing some past posts I see they have a great reputation here. Will have to check them out for sure. Will post updates on the project after I reach meaningful milestones.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

WOW is a great guy and the one to contact regarding that product.

evanskev

#5 Post by evanskev »

Do you mind if I ask how much your home would sell for if you sold it today and how much you're investing in the windows and materials along with your time to install? I'm curious how others are justifying expenses.

My home is worth around $350K and I'm going with Soft-Lite Barrington or Pro windows.

Cheers