Permits for Windows???

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Ken_5

Permits for Windows???

#1 Post by Ken_5 »

i know that permits could be governed by local and state rules, but typically do replacing windows require permits?

Having the house sided and the contractor has permits for siding. The contractor states that permits are not required for the windows. The windows are new construction going into existing openings. Would the windows require a permit and if so would it be covered by the siding permit?

Thanks!

Ken

randy

Re: Permits for Windows???

#2 Post by randy »

That varies by city. Best thing to do is check with your city's building inspector. I doubt the windows are included within the siding permit unless specifically stated on the permit itself.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

I know in new jersey a permit is not required for windows.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

masterext wrote:I know in new jersey a permit is not required for windows.
If they don't require one is New Taxey, you probably don't need one where you live but check with your inspector.

Windows are not a structural component and you are not modifying the building formatively. They are aesthetic components and as such, in most cases, do not require permits.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

As the others mentioned, it all depends on municipality. Around here, most do not require a permit unless a size is changed (structural alteration), although some do. Check your municipality.

Ken_5

#6 Post by Ken_5 »

Thanks randy, Masterext, WOW and Homesealed!

Ken