New home recommendation- Simonton vs Maritech

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
dannon1970

New home recommendation- Simonton vs Maritech

#1 Post by dannon1970 »

Hi,
I am planning to install about 100 windows for my newly constructed house. 90% of them are fixed windows. Rest being casement and transoms. Most of them are 4060 [ 4ft x 6ft ], about 10-12 windows are 4080 [ 4ft x 8ft ] and the rest are 3080 and 3060. I have gotten quotes for Maritech and Simonton vinyl windows.

I am in Texas and it gets really hot in the summer [105 F +]. Rains very infrequently. Snows once or twice year max. Simonton is more expensive [1.5 times] . So ,if Maritech is $22k, then Simonton is about $33k. So what do you recommend? From what I have read here , Simonton seems to be a good product. Have no idea on Maritech - they are a Dallas company formed in 2007. The window guy said Maritech is more a builders grade and Simonton is a much better window. These are the Simonton Prominish series. And Maritech has the 450 and 570 series. These are the Simonton and Maritech links :

http://www.simonton.com/Products/ProFinish.htm
http://www.maritechwindows.com/products-pi572.php

Thanks. So many choices out there - really, I am going crazy . So many brands with specs and info. I have to make a decision very soon and dont want to commit a blunder.

randy

Re: New home recommendation- Simonton vs Maritech

#2 Post by randy »

Simonton makes the better window. Maritech is indeed a builder grade product. Thinner vinyl walls, flimsy glazing bead, low-end balancers. If you can afford the Simontons, they are a big improvement over Meritech, plus Simonton's customer service is very good.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

you may want to broaden your search. some higher quality windows that are available in texas are soft lite and sunrise. i am pretty confident you would find both of thses brands
better than what you have seen.
there is a pro who frequents these boards and offers his free time to home owners looking for info on windows. his name is Randy and he responded to your post. you can read the above post and click his contact button. you wont meet a nicer guy or better contractor than Randy.

randy

#4 Post by randy »

Thanks masterext, but I don't do new construction windows at all. I am happy to offer whatever help I can here however.

With that many windows, and most likely large sizes, Soft-lite and Sunrise are likely to be too expensive. Simonton is probably one of the better choices in this situation I suspect.

What part of Texas is the house being built in?

dannon1970

#5 Post by dannon1970 »

First up, thanks for responding so fast to my query. I am in Midland,TX. That's 350 miles west of Dallas.

Yes, if Simonton is much much better than Maritech - then I can go in for that. B'cos for so many windows - I dont want to take a chance and they are mostly picture windows. So , MAritech is indeed a builder grade product. It was just that the builder was pushing for Maritech b'cos he deals with that supplying company. But, I am free to shop around. And, I am glad I did.

And randy - as you said - b'cos the sizes are so big - if I go too much higher end - then the costs really really add up.

So , my best choice is to go with the Simonton then. And of the 3 colors - White, Almond/Driftwood , Clay -- what is the best ??

Also , a query that I have regarding aluminum windows even though this is a Vinyl forum. I absolutely love the Bronze color - but Vinyls dont come in Bronze. How are Don Young aluminum windows ? They come in bronze - and the window person said they are very good , sturdy and insulation is good. I dont know if insulation is even comparable to Vinyl but he said they are good windows if I want bronze . They are a bit more costly though.

Thanks.

randy

#6 Post by randy »

I think Don Young's thermally-broken aluminum window is one of the very best choices for Texas. About 50% of my business is their product. It's incredibly strong and durable, offers narrower frames - maximizing glass space, and it's unaffected by the intense Texas heat.

On the downside, it's not as efficient as vinyl or fiberglass. The SHGC is going to be slightly higher (.23) and the U-Value is going to be higher (.42).

They are going to be more expensive than the quotes you've had so far. Last year they introduced a casement window, and it's nice, but a bit bulky. Don Young is also somewhat restrictive on size limitations. All in all, I'd recommend you consider them since you really like bronze.

dannon1970

#7 Post by dannon1970 »

randy wrote:I think Don Young's thermally-broken aluminum window is one of the very best choices for Texas. About 50% of my business is their product. It's incredibly strong and durable, offers narrower frames - maximizing glass space, and it's unaffected by the intense Texas heat.

On the downside, it's not as efficient as vinyl or fiberglass. The SHGC is going to be slightly higher (.23) and the U-Value is going to be higher (.42).

They are going to be more expensive than the quotes you've had so far. Last year they introduced a casement window, and it's nice, but a bit bulky. Don Young is also somewhat restrictive on size limitations. All in all, I'd recommend you consider them since you really like bronze.
Thanks. Yes, I am looking for Don Young now. If they are priced competitively, then I will go in for them . My windows are very big - 8ft tall - so , I am assuming the strong aluminum frame will be better.
Also, how strong is the bronze color on Don Young ? I mean , do they scratch easily with regular wear and tear. B'cos scratches on a Bronze color look real bad.

And you said it's not as efficient as Vinyl . So , how much difference are we talking about in real world terms regarding future energy bills or insulation costs. The U value and SGHC values being high - is this a deal breaker ?