help with new windows for rental house

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mike_b

help with new windows for rental house

#1 Post by mike_b »

Hi guys,
I am looking for suggestions of what to put in a 60yr old rental house in DFW Texas I just bought. The house is all brick/slab construction and I just had the foundation repaired all the way around the house and the original windows are trashed. Being a rental, I don't want to sink a bunch of money in the house but I need to replace 11 windows. 4-35x72, 2-38x55, 3-34x55, 1-44x35, 1-48x24.

I've had a bid on Vista vinyl double hung, low-E windows for $3800. $3200 if I remove the windows myself. Is this fair price?

IS there any line of window that people have used for rentals?

Thanks!

randy

Re: help with new windows for rental house

#2 Post by randy »

Sounds fair to me. The Vista window is fine for a rental property.

mike_b

#3 Post by mike_b »

I also just got a quote from Home Depot on American Craftsman (made by Anderson) series 2300. Would they compare equally to Vista?

randy

#4 Post by randy »

Either one would be acceptable for a rental property.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

American Craftsman is a rebranded Silverline and they are owned by Andersen. that said, anything by american craftsman/ silverline is for rental properties only and not a brand i would ever install in a primary residence.
if this job was for your own home and you wanted some quality, i would recommend someone in your area that i hold in high regard.

mike_b

#6 Post by mike_b »

But should I still stay away from BetterBilt from Lowe's? Even though it is a rental property I do't want total trash that I will have to be constantly getting fixed. All I found on here about BB is really bad.

Are there any other rec'd affordable solutions to use for a rental?

On one side I'm thinking just go with the absolute cheapest $$ but my other side is telling me get mid-line. Any landlords out there to give their experiences?

randy

#7 Post by randy »

You might look at Burris Windows, out of Dallas for a decent mid-grade vinyl window. For a rental property, I'd go with single hungs - less moving parts for tenants to remove, damage, etc..

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You could look at a Soft-lite Barrington.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Barrington and Bainbridge options from Soft-Lite are good budget options.

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

Aluminum would be a durable product for a rental. Silverline makes them as well as Don Young Windows.

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

In a rental if I used aluminum I would look at a thermally broken side load.
Thewindownerd.

toddinmn

#12 Post by toddinmn »

I don't think there is an aluminum window that is not thermally broken available anymore?

Is there a window from Lowes called the Betterbilt or do you mean the Reliabilt?

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

Out of the windows you've seen, I'd put the Vista a notch higher (compared to Silverline or Reliabilt). Even better would be the Softlite or Sunrise options. Aluminum may be a good choice as well, I'd defer to those in your region on that.

mike_b

#14 Post by mike_b »

I have an estimate from Window World this weekend and their 4000 series window comes in at around $3400. It is double hung, low e, argon gas filled, metal reinforced, even lifetime glass replacement and so on. I know they are the biggest chain in the US and it's made by Champion. It lookled like a nice window based on their sample. What do you guys think about it?

The window from Lowe's is Betterbilt, not Reliabilt and it's an in store order and I would install myself.

Still looking & thinking.

Sears called and asked that I let them come back out to re-bid the job because they are going to lower their price. Well, the price actually went up... From $6200 to $7500. Wasted my time and theirs!

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

mike_b wrote:I have an estimate from Window World this weekend and their 4000 series window comes in at around $3400. It is double hung, low e, argon gas filled, metal reinforced, even lifetime glass replacement and so on. I know they are the biggest chain in the US and it's made by Champion. It lookled like a nice window based on their sample. What do you guys think about it?

The window from Lowe's is Betterbilt, not Reliabilt and it's an in store order and I would install myself.

Still looking & thinking.

Sears called and asked that I let them come back out to re-bid the job because they are going to lower their price. Well, the price actually went up... From $6200 to $7500. Wasted my time and theirs!
The WW window should be an Excalibur if it is their 4000 series.

You are probably better off with the Lowes offering and doing it yourself.

Have you checked with out building supply houses?