Advice on installing windows yourself - Thanks!

For those self-installers
troutbum

Advice on installing windows yourself - Thanks!

#1 Post by troutbum »

First, thanks to this forum I did not buy Reliabilt windows from Lowes. I appreciate that.

Second, I live in Bucks County PA and I'm trying to find dealers who carry either Simonton, Soft Lites, Hi Mark, Sunrise or Okna. These all seem to be good windows from what I've read so far. Other recommendations are certainly appreciated.

Finally, I want to spend the money on the window and do the install myself. Lowes install cost more than the windows. I'd rather pay for better windows. I am very handy having tiled, roofed, plumbed, etc. etc. So far I have not done poor work on any of these projects. New bathrooms, electrical, fix cars, etc. Now I want to tackle windows and need advice. From the U-Tube videos I've watched the removal of the window will be done from the inside of the house. It does not look too difficult. Putting in the new window and making certain it is plumb should be pretty easy as well. My main concern is with the outside trim. I was told by Lowes that when I remove the old windows, the outside aluminum trim/casing will be ruined. (I have aluminum siding.) Lowes recommend having new casing installed. I don't think I have the tools to do this as this looks like it could be tricky without the right training/tools. Here is the way I see it:

Step 1: remove all the drapes, blinds etc.
2: remove the small wood trim pieces holding the window in place (quarter round, etc)
3. unsecure the window and remove
4. add additional sealant/foam/insulation and put in new window
5. make level and screw in
6. add new trim to the inside of the window and caulk
7. paint as needed

What the heck do I do outside now if the old casing was damaged? Can I hire someone just for that part of the job and if so, how much per window is fair?

Thanks very much - Troutbum :?:

Windows on Washington

Re: Advice on installing windows yourself - Thanks!

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Troutbum (you must shed some light here on this name),

The Lowes "professional" is mistaken in this case. If you set the windows from inside to out, nothing on the exterior should be damaged in a majority of the cases.

Most interior stops can be re-used as well if you are clean and careful during their removal.

Good luck with the project and your steps look about spot on.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Are you doing a insert replacement or a full tear/full frame replacement?
Lets look at the most probable = insert replacement.
Measure, order, and confirm the order. Allow enough tolerance to get the unit in the hole and square it up.
What is the exterior of the existiung unit? wood, clad wood, capped wood.
Are there storm windows on the exterior?
Is there a sash stop on the interior? If you have a carardco window which is popular here in Bucks county then you do not have sash stops, you may need to consider out to in install, in which case you may cut off the exterior stops.
Pick up the windows and check for damages.
Every time before you remove a window make sure you a window to back in that hole, very much like measure twice cut once proverb.
Install unit, insulate with W&D foam. Seal interior with paintable caulk.
Cap( smooth or PVC aluminum) the exterior, caulk with high grade exterior caulk.
Dispose of trash. Did I start with how old is your house? RRP/EPA?

troutbum

#4 Post by troutbum »

Anthony - The house is close to 40 years old. The windows are wood with the wood grill inserts that go in between the two pains of glass. The outside of the house is aluminum siding and the current cap is painted aluminum. As you seem familiar with Bucks County, PA do you recommend any local window stores and/or brands. Thank you.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

troutburn, you'd be well served to contact anthony via his get a quote button. He offers a few of the premium products that you are looking for, and I'm sure that he'd be happy to sell them to you either installed or diy, as well as offer you some specific advice based on your circumstances. He is truly one of the nicest guys that I've ever met in this business. :)

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

All the brands you mention are good to best.
My first and second choice would be Soft-lite ImpLS or HiMark800DX.
Based on your description sounds like you have old pella designer series.

The age of your house mandates that it is a target house for EPA/RRP lead paint.
You may or may not have lead paint present and that issue has to be resolved.
Go to EPA.gov and read the Renovate Right brochure.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

It is a doable DIY project for someone that has some experience working in carpentry or other mechanical areas, and has tools and equipment. It is just very important to do research prior to attempting the project. It is terrible when folks spend thousands on new windows only to have them leak air or water due to poor installation, whether it is diy or a bad professional job.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#8 Post by Window4U (IL) »

If the windows are wrapped with aluminum and you damage it replacing the windows doing inserts, I would recommend you hire an installer to re-cap them.
I would look for a window or siding job being done near you, then asking one of the installers if they'd be open to doing a side job on their off time re-wrapping your windows. Many installers love these little side jobs to make some extra money.