window research

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Michigan

window research

#1 Post by Michigan »

Guys

My wife and I are getting tired of painting our wood windows each year...we have done a good job of keeping them in decent shape but enough is enough....to make thing more complicated we are going to look at doing new siding at the same time (James hardy is the leading option). Since we want this siding we got quotes for the preferred JH siding places that also deal in windows as well as some window only...because of the issues with our wood windows we have asked for new construction windows.

I have:
2-60w x 64t Double casements
4-60w x60t Double casements
3-48w x 64t Picture windows
2-72w x 80t Door walls/Sliding glass doors
2-20w x 60t Single casement

1-60w x 48t Slider
1-72w x 40t double awning
1-48w x 48t Double casement

So far quotes have been

22k paradigm (window and siding place)
13k paradigm (window only place)
15k Ply Gem premium (windows and siding)

Still awaiting on quotes for Sunrise and Soft-lite (element)

Any feedback or advice would be appreciated.

This is a great Forum!

We are in SE Michigan...

Thanks

Andy

Windows on Washington

Re: window research

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Are the quotes that you list above just on the windows or for the windows and siding?

I prefer the two windows that you are waiting on out of that list so far.

Michigan

#3 Post by Michigan »

The quotes are for windows only. Just wanted to point out that some are window companies only and some are siding/windows.

The sunrise quote came in at 21k

Thanks

Andy

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Any other details about the installation you can provide that is covered in the quote?

Michigan

#5 Post by Michigan »

The house it a two story...it has 16 openings (including 2 sliding glass doors)...10 are in siding and 6 are on the second floor.

We requested full replacement windows due to the issues with our current windows.

all quotes were for Low e/argon glass

one calls out using a closed cell foam (the first) the rest quote fiberglass insulation.

otherwise they are pretty standard.

Thanks

Andy

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Your first quotes have alot of spread which is possible bur not that much if the same specs are followed. You need to make sure the installation spec are the same... full tear/ full frame replacement with primed or stain grade interior casing and its style.
Does the quote say anything about interior trim/casing?

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

You absolutely will want to make sure that everyone is on the same page as far as workscope goes.

Michigan

#8 Post by Michigan »

Here is an update

Need to get the siding and windows done soon (my preference is to do it at the same time...we want full replacement windows....so this seems best)

Company A
Paradigm widnows-hardie board siding (not impressed with paradigm windows reviews, this place is the best siding installer) (excellent reviews)

Company B
Plygem windows also a hardie board siding installer (good reviews, knowledgeable installer)

Company C
Windows only - Imperial LS, really like windows....these guys don't do siding and the siding person they work with was not familiar with all the requirements of cement board siding. (also a lot of positive reviews)

So if one place has to do it all it is Company B...

What are your opinions on having company A do the siding and Company C do the windows? Not sure on the amount of coordination that would be required.

Thanks

Andy

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

While using multiple companies can work, it is generally preferred to limit the number of people who can pass blame to each other. One company to perform both would be best IMO, although the Softlite is easily the best window that you've seen so that must be strongly considered.
Have you looked at any other composite siding products? There are some other choices that have the same or better appearance/warranty as fiber cement, yet allow for easier installation and don't contain the same harmful components.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#10 Post by Window4U (IL) »

HomeSealed wrote: Have you looked at any other composite siding products? There are some other choices that have the same or better appearance/warranty as fiber cement, yet allow for easier installation and don't contain the same harmful components.

+1 There are Class Action lawsuits against JH siding. You may want to do a google search and research it so you can make an informed decision.
Personally I like foam backed vinyl for many installations. It gives a similar look with wide laps available.

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

While I like the look of fiber cement, the lung health exposure issues are disconcerting.

There are alternatives to plank siding like Royal's new Celect product. Very nice stuff.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#12 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Windows on Washington wrote:
There are alternatives to plank siding like Royal's new Celect product. Very nice stuff.
I had never seen that stuff before. Looks interesting!

Michigan

#13 Post by Michigan »

I agree with you Windows4u.... I requested to use a foam backed Vinyl....the home owners association said no vinyl.

But anyways it make my decision less complex....

Based on windows which one would you guys go with (the plygems are less expensive)?

A)Plygem Premium Series Vinyl Windows

b)Paradigm

Thanks

Andy

toddinmn

#14 Post by toddinmn »

The Ply-Gem Premium series is a well built window and has nice features, so it has my vote.The JH siding can be safe to work with using proper work methods.

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Make sure your Hardie installer knows his craft. For whatever reason, we have seen a whole slew of improperly installed jobs of late and the homes were rotting from the inside out.

Terrible stuff.