should I consider simonton along with soft-lite?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
J-Windows

should I consider simonton along with soft-lite?

#1 Post by J-Windows »

I thought I was almost done with the window research. But now I'm reading a lot of good reviews of/recommendations for simonton windows. I thought my original research they came up as not recommended due to being home depot/sears windows. But my recent research seems to say the reflections 5500/prism platinum and impressions 9800 are all really good.

Do any of these windows compete with soft-lite imperial LS casements in terms of quality, durability, longevity, performance?

They do have some good color options. I think I finally have to rule out sunrise just because they do not paint and do not come in any palatable exterior colors.

I'm about ready to commit to the imperial LS. My only reservation is the "flat" look of the interior. I'd really like something with more contours/ledges to kind of simulate the wood window interior look. i don't really care about the exterior contours as much. But it has to have a brown exterior option, and simonton has a "chocolate" option.

HomeSealed

Re: should I consider simonton along with soft-lite?

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Simonton is a fine choice, but they do not offer a product in the same league as the Imperial LS. That is not an opinion, it is evident in comparison of the independently tested performance ratings (both thermal and structural). I'd choose the Softlite all day, every day unless the Simonton installer is infinitely more qualified and the price is phenomenal.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

They are worth a look,especially if you like the looks alot better. I would price them out and go from there.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

As far as the performance goes, the nod goes to the soft-lite. The simonton is by no means a bad window and if you like the looks and the install is good...go for it.

I was pretty sure that Sunrise could paint. Can somebody confirm that?

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Their exterior color choices are for coextruded cap stock only. Which they do offer in antique brown.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

anthony wrote:Their exterior color choices are for coextruded cap stock only. Which they do offer in antique brown.
I could have sworn they had paint too? That seems a bit odd for this day and age.

Thanks for the confirmation Wayne.

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

Features wise the Impressions 9800 matches up better than the 5500 to the Imperial LS. The LS does have some detail to the interior sash extrusion and I like the locks better than that of any of the Simonton products.

J-Windows

#8 Post by J-Windows »

the antique brown looks black outside, not brown at all.

J-Windows

#9 Post by J-Windows »

Despite all the propaganda on their website about 'wider viewing area" and "style of classic wood windows", all the pictures I can see casements, they look just as flat and as wide as all the other vinyl windows. Has anyone seen these in person to know if there's really any aesthetic difference?

Also, despite all the propaganda about energy efficiency and glass packages, I can't find any published specs, except just stating that they meet energy star requirements. Anyone know the specs to compare?

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

antique brown usually looks like bronze.
Makes you wonder when a company makes it so hard to find the thermal and structural test results for their products.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

J, are you referring to Sunrise or Simonton?... if Simonton, you are correct that their units offer no more viewing area than the average choice. In fact, there are a few that are a bit slimmer. On the performance ratings, as Anthony alluded to, there is typically a reason when a given company does not brag about its ratings- because they just aren't that great. Don't get me wrong, as I and others have said, Simonton does make a nice window, it just does not measure up in performance to a top tier product like a LS/Elements, HiMark, or Sunrise Restorations.

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

with that all said. Casements by design are the tightest windows. You almost have to work at it to mess them up as far as AL goes.
I had friends who had a twin vinyl casement at the kitchen sink and they wanted me to replace it because it was drafty. I argued with them that it was not the nature of that window, then when I am measuring I feel all this air blowing through, it is locked and square, all the weatherstripping in place, but the sash were bowed and I could slip a CC between the sash and the frame with no resistance at the bowed points. So we put in a new AW twin casement and they have been toasty ever after.