Abcleads.com BBB Business Review  NAHB member
Call us at
1-800-219-5332

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: replacing aluminum windows with vinyl
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:53 pm 

Yep, there's those two ways to do it and it looks like there's two differing opinions (sort of) on the methods. Budget will only allow so high a quality window and so far what I've seen (not that much yet) has the molding profile built in that I mentioned above. If I add trim tight against that profile and just enough to cover the flange, I end up with a 2x2 or so. That just sounds like it would look wrong. I could go to a 2x4 but that might start to look pretty bulky. The corners are trimmed with 2x6 so it might be ok...

I think I have to look at more windows to get clearer on my options and of course I'm going out of town for a week starting Fri.

Thanks,
John

Post subject: Re: replacing aluminum windows with vinyl
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:42 pm 

I would cut the siding in place far enough to get the old flange out and as wide you would like the new trim to be. I think the Atrium is good window in it's price range for me.It really depends on how much you can buy it for compared to another window. i would no use the Atrium or any other vinyl window with a brickmold/J built in. I don't think it would look proper to have casing butting up to another brickmold casing.