First time homeowner and window buyer-NEED HELP!!!!!!

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
rac

First time homeowner and window buyer-NEED HELP!!!!!!

#1 Post by rac »

I currently am in the process of looking to replace approx 25 of the original single pane DH windows in an 80 year old home. I live in in Ny and was given a quote by Unified windows of 299/window for the Ideal Ultraweld2 series which is Low E glass, with argon gas. Can anyone PLEASE let me know if Ideal windows are reliabl;e and if Unified is reliable?
Thanks- any help would be appreciated

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: First time homeowner and window buyer-NEED HELP!!!!!!

#2 Post by masterext »

that window is certainly not regarded as a higher quality window and lets be honest, how good could a 300 window actually be ! in construction, cheap is a red flag and cheap also means more expensive because invariably you will wind up doing the job twice. most of the time that 349 goes alot higher after the smoke clears..in fact, ive even seen some advertise as low as 199 beleive it or not..its amazing how they get away with it.
ive been doing this a long time and every time i see a ridiculously low price like that, i am left scratching my head. i imagine thats an install price?
there are alot of of sleazy companies that advertise windows with installation for 299 or 349 and the homeowner is the one that loses out.
most young couples are drawn to cheaper prices because lets face it, maintaining a home is expensive, especially for newly married couples. that said, id rather see you do your job in stages and invest in quality. its a much cheaper route to go and you will be much happier in the long run.

rac

#3 Post by rac »

Thanks. Yes it includes installation as well. Can I ask- what is the worst case scenario with these windows? What can go wrong that i'd feel a need to replace them? which windows do you suggest I look into?

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Air leakage, warped sashes, seal failures, misaligned locks, top sash drifts down, missing weatherstripping, etc. In addition, most companies that offer an inferior product, will typically have questionable installation practices as well... I cannot speak on that particular product from experience, however those are VERY common problems with low-end products. In NY, you should have access to the "creme de la creme" of windows. HiMark, Sunrise, and Softlite are top choices.

rac

#5 Post by rac »

Thanks. it sounds like you have a lot of expertise in this area. If i can ask you- what are the most impt things I should make sure the installer is doing or what should I look out for in terms of an installer trying to "cut corners"?

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

First and foremost, the window needs to be installed square to operate properly. An easy way to check is to raise the lower sash and lower the upper slightly, and make sure that there is a consistent reveal all the way across. In addition, most quality-minded installers will use low-expansion foam (instead of fiberglass insulation), high-end caulk like Quad OSI, and the capping job should look tight and neat with minimal nails exposed (they can usually be hidden behind caulk beads, etc). There is obviously more that goes into a high quality install, however those are a few items that anybody can see and get some indication of the level of quality.