Which is better, casement windows or tilt turn windows?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Ohio

Which is better, casement windows or tilt turn windows?

#1 Post by Ohio »

Looking to replace all the windows in our house in Ohio. Which window type is better from an energy efficiency standpoint for a passive house, casement windows or tilt turn windows?

Second question, who makes the best casement window and who makes the best tilt turn window?

Perhaps one of the window pros on the forum could tell us what product they would put in their home.

Thanks

Windows on Washington

Re: Which is better, casement windows or tilt turn windows?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Both should provide very similar thermal and air infiltration performance.

What material were you considering and where is the proposed home going to be located?

What window or material I would put in my own home would depend in large part on the look I was going for.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

As WOW said the performance numbers are close so other things may take more weight.
How they function with existing furnishings and window treatments. Resale value and marketability of each style. Personal preference.
Thewindownerd....

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to both of the above posts. The brands that are regularly recommended here (Softlite/Gorell, HiMark/Okna, Sunrise,) all make great casements and I would not hesitate to install any of them in my home.

Ohio

#5 Post by Ohio »

All,

House is in Ohio. As I mentioned, it is a passive solar project. Which ever product we go with, we will want as high a SHGC and R as possible on the East and South sides for winter heat gain (Summer East and South sides are shaded). So casements and tilt turn are equal in performance - good to know.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Take a look at the hard coat Low-e packages out there as well.

randy

#7 Post by randy »

I haven't seen HiMark's, but Sunrise makes one of the nicest casement windows in vinyl. Much nicer looking than Soft-lite's, yet with very similar performance numbers.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Ohio wrote:
Any other suggestions?

Thanks
You are going to want to look for a contractor that understands your unique situation. 3 out of 4 companies that you call are just going try and steer you into a 30/30 type glass package and get you out the door, but don't go for it. I'd recommend some correspondence with potential contractors via phone or email prior to your appt where you can gauge their level of knowledge regarding your type of application. Many manufacturers will not have "standard" offering for what you are looking for, so that will be a consideration as well.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote:
Ohio wrote:
Any other suggestions?

Thanks
You are going to want to look for a contractor that understands your unique situation. 3 out of 4 companies that you call are just going try and steer you into a 30/30 type glass package and get you out the door, but don't go for it. I'd recommend some correspondence with potential contractors via phone or email prior to your appt where you can gauge their level of knowledge regarding your type of application. Many manufacturers will not have "standard" offering for what you are looking for, so that will be a consideration as well.
+1

Figure out what materials you are looking for first and go from there.

I would be happy to assist in whatever capacity that I can. PassivHaus designs are super intriguing to me.

I can certainly help with the insulation, roofing, windows, and envelope questions that you might have.

Ohio

#10 Post by Ohio »

All,

House was built sometime ago. Specs are SIPS panel construction with wall R of approx. 40. R-50 roof/ceiling. Perfect orientation for solar gain. Almost 100% direct set glass on South side. Numerous windows on East side. One window on West side and attached garage on North side. Dense Summer shading via trees on all sides.

In addition to solar, geothermal heat system and two wood stoves.

Want to replace the windows and patio door (not the direct set glass) as it appears that the previous contractor did not get it right.

Any thoughts appreciated

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

http://www.cardinalcorp.com/technology/ ... nce-stats/

I like either #1 or #6 in the triple pane options.

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

WOW would you recommend the InLine tilt n turn for this type project?

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

It would be a nice option. I like the tilt and turn operator style as a whole.

Ohio

#14 Post by Ohio »

All,

Thanks for all the suggestions. Especially the Cardinal glass reco. from Windows on Washington.

Windows on Washington,

Question on the glazing - We are looking for a high SHGC, low U & high light trans. for the East and South sides. Cardinal has a 1 and 3/8 triple pane that gives the following numbers: SHGC 0.56, U= 0.13 and light trans. of 70%. Anything better out there?

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

I am sure there are some more exotic glass options out there (i.e. there are some 5 layer glass options with Xenon fill) but they will never pay for themselves in our lifetime.

Those triple pane options that Cardinal is making are very nice.

I would also check with Guardian as they seem to match up very well with Cardinal in terms of options and performance.