Mulled windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
sharona

Mulled windows

#1 Post by sharona »

For mulled dh widows, what is the typical width of the vinyl piece(s) where 2 windows are joined? I'm changing from casement to dh windows and have some decisions to make about some of the larger openings when it comes to how many windows in each opening. Is there an average width for this piece? I like the look of a bank of dh windows as long as the inside framing is not too thick. Thanks in advance for your input.

sharona

Windows on Washington

Re: Mulled windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Most of the clip in mulls are what we refer to as "zero" mulls and therefore the windows butt right up to each other.

Even if you go with the "H" mull piece, the windows are still very close and the trim reveal is minimal.

sharona

#3 Post by sharona »

Looking at our current wood casement windows, the trim between the panes is about 4". Would I expect to see similar w/ vinyl dhs mulled together?

TIA

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Vinyl double hungs will show anywhere from 5.75" - 8" of plastic in the middle.

The slimmer line windows will be the Sunrise, HiMark, Soft-Lite Bainbridge/imperial Pro.

There are other similarly slim windows out there but those are the few I know off the top of my head that are solid performers as well.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I just finished the design of a project where we did visible glass dimensions for insert replacement with singles vs twins vs full tear/full frame.
On the Sunrise Vanguard casement on a twin unit the glass to glass framing of the mullion was 4 9/16".
On a 800DX HiMark DH it would be ~ 7".

sharona

#6 Post by sharona »

Thanks for all the helpful info! I'd like to get some additional input from those who look at these every day. I'm finalizing my layouts for how many dh's in each opening. I have some wide windows that could be 3 or 4 dhs, 2 or 3, 1 or 2. Aesthetically, what is an eye pleasing ratio of windows to width of opening? Is there some type of standard formula for what works best or is it all a matter of preference? Other than cost (less windows = less $), is there an advantage/disadvantage to having fewer windows? Should I opt for least number in order to have as much glass as possible or is there a point where adding another window to the opening and having 3 slimmer windows instead of 2 wider is better looking? more functional? If it makes a difference, there will be no grids.

TIA for your opinions!

Sharona

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

You probably want to go with as large a window as you can put in the opening without approaching the size limitations of the window. If you go too large, you can have operational issues and that is the last thing that you want with a permanent window replacement.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Your choice will essentially come come to aesthetics and price, but generally I like to see as much glass as possible. If there is a "max" size that might start looking a little off for mulled units, I'd say try to stay under about 40" if possible.

sharona

#9 Post by sharona »

The max size available for most of the windows I've been considering is 50" but that seems like it would be really weird looking, especially w/out grids which I do not want. I have 2 openings that currently have picture windows with casements on either side that are 78" total. I am debating 2 vs. 3 dhs in those openings. Also have a couple of openings that currently have double casements that are 48" and am debating a single large dh vs. 2 dh which would be only 20 or so inches wide?

I definitely do NOT have an eye for this stuff so your opinions are most welcome. The input I got from the salesmen/contractors that have been out here has been "less windows = less cost", "whatever you want to do" and "it will look good either way".

Too many decisions! If any of you have websites that have pictures of some of these configurations in similar sizes, I would love to take a look.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd go with twins in the 78" openings, and large DH's in the single. Your sizes are right on the fringe where the windows are either going to look really big or really small, and I don't think that you'll be happy if they are small. You'll see a ton of frame material, and lose a lot of light (plus pay more). I would definitely recommend a high quality window though for those sizes, preferably with reinforcement at the sash meeting rail.

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

+1

sharona

#12 Post by sharona »

HomeSealed wrote:I'd go with twins in the 78" openings, and large DH's in the single. Your sizes are right on the fringe where the windows are either going to look really big or really small, and I don't think that you'll be happy if they are small. You'll see a ton of frame material, and lose a lot of light (plus pay more). I would definitely recommend a high quality window though for those sizes, preferably with reinforcement at the sash meeting rail.
Just wanted to follow up and say thanks for this advice. I went with the less windows/more glass option and they are almost finished installing. They look great and I'm very happy that I went this route. If I had a clue how to post a photo, I'd do so.

TheWindowNerd

#13 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You are welcome.
You did a lot of research and thought about your window project and have the reward that goes with it.
The window nerd

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

sharona wrote:
HomeSealed wrote:I'd go with twins in the 78" openings, and large DH's in the single. Your sizes are right on the fringe where the windows are either going to look really big or really small, and I don't think that you'll be happy if they are small. You'll see a ton of frame material, and lose a lot of light (plus pay more). I would definitely recommend a high quality window though for those sizes, preferably with reinforcement at the sash meeting rail.
Just wanted to follow up and say thanks for this advice. I went with the less windows/more glass option and they are almost finished installing. They look great and I'm very happy that I went this route. If I had a clue how to post a photo, I'd do so.
On this site you need to post a photo to a free online hosting site (i.e. photobucket, snapfish, etc) and then link the photo here via the IMG tags.