Abcleads.com BBB Business Review  NAHB member
Call us at
1-800-219-5332


All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Decision Time In Dallas
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:09 pm 

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:38 pm
Posts: 2
Offline
Hello All,
I live in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area in a 20 year home with aluminum windows and in the last few weeks have gotten several bids for 24 windows in our two story house. The attic was reinsulated last year with additional vents added and also two new 16 seer Trane air conditioners to replace our 20 old models, all of this was prior to summer. The most electricity we used last summer, during that crazy heat wave, was 2200 kilowatt hours. So in other words we are not looking to buy top of the line windows, just something that is very functional and will save some energy and does not have broken seals like a good many of our windows have now.

Based on the great threads on this board the search has been narrowed to Simonton Gold which I think is the equivalent to the 5500 and Ultra-Lite Barrington. (Trust me, we started looking at much less expensive windows)

The bid for the Simonton is $10,582 or $440.92 per window which includes installation and I am not sure about center bar reinforcement
The bid for the Soft-Lite is $12,400 or $516.67 per window which includes installation and center bar reinforcement

Is there that much difference between the two windows and how much additional is the reinforcement? Thinking out loud, is it possible to get the reinforcement for the Simonton; our widest window is 3’? And finally should I look at any other windows?

Thanks for your thoughts to my questions.
Kelly


Top
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Decision Time In Dallas
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:24 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:14 pm
Posts: 1893
Location: Milwaukee, Madison areas
Offline
Kelly, it sounds like you have a pretty good grasp on what is important in the "big picture" of home performance. What you are looking for is a window contractor who has a high level level of knowledge, and is more concerned with the energy efficiency of your home rather than making quick buck selling windows. Randy is a long time contributor here, and a quick review of his postings will give you great insight into his level of knowledge and character. I'd highly recommend consulting him in your area.


Top
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Decision Time In Dallas
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:50 am 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:21 pm
Posts: 3726
Location: DC Metropolitan Area-Maryland/Virginia/DC
Offline
See Below in Bold.

fkellyz wrote:
Hello All,
I live in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area in a 20 year home with aluminum windows and in the last few weeks have gotten several bids for 24 windows in our two story house. The attic was reinsulated last year with additional vents added and also two new 16 seer Trane air conditioners to replace our 20 old models, all of this was prior to summer. The most electricity we used last summer, during that crazy heat wave, was 2200 kilowatt hours. So in other words we are not looking to buy top of the line windows, just something that is very functional and will save some energy and does not have broken seals like a good many of our windows have now.

Based on the great threads on this board the search has been narrowed to Simonton Gold which I think is the equivalent to the 5500 and Ultra-Lite Barrington. (Trust me, we started looking at much less expensive windows)

Simonton Gold = Simonton 5300

Simonton Platinum = Simonton 5500

The Prism series also includes double strength glass.


The bid for the Simonton is $10,582 or $440.92 per window which includes installation and I am not sure about center bar reinforcement
The bid for the Soft-Lite is $12,400 or $516.67 per window which includes installation and center bar reinforcement

Is there that much difference between the two windows and how much additional is the reinforcement? Thinking out loud, is it possible to get the reinforcement for the Simonton; our widest window is 3’? And finally should I look at any other windows?

The Simonton is available, and should be specified in your application, with the meeting rail reinforcement. The Barrington will give you more viewable glass and a narrower profile. Performance wise, I would say the nod goes to Soft-Lite as well but I would prefer to see the Bainbridge, Imperial LS, or Elements quoted.

Thanks for your thoughts to my questions.
Kelly


I would also encourage you to speak with some of the board pros in your area for a premium product.

While your thought process of just getting something that is good enough (both the Soft-Lite and Simonton are much better than good enough), I think you might be well advised to go a little be higher end and get something that is a real show stopper and will add both performance and aesthetic value to the home at the end of the day. If the difference was $50 per window, that is $1000 on the total project and that will be the first and last time you will ever do windows on that home. If you just leverage that extra money over a 5 year calculation, it adds up to a whopping $17 per month or $0.55 per day for the nice window.

When you think of it in those terms, it makes the nicer window choice a bit more likely.


Top
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Decision Time In Dallas
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:04 pm 

Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:38 pm
Posts: 2
Offline
Thanks for taking the time and providing some thoughts and recommendations. Both provided food for thought and I will look into an upgrade, especially if it adds to the looks of the house. In addition to the broken seal issues about 15 years ago we installed solar sreens and it will be a big improvement to have those removed.
Regards,
Kelly


Top
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Decision Time In Dallas
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:04 pm 

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:27 am
Posts: 840
Location: Texas - Houston & Austin
Offline
The same dealer that showed you the Barrington also carries the Imperial LS. I think you'll find that it's a much better window, for not a whole lot more money.


Top
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Decision Time In Dallas
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:29 am 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:21 pm
Posts: 3726
Location: DC Metropolitan Area-Maryland/Virginia/DC
Offline
fkellyz wrote:
Thanks for taking the time and providing some thoughts and recommendations. Both provided food for thought and I will look into an upgrade, especially if it adds to the looks of the house. In addition to the broken seal issues about 15 years ago we installed solar sreens and it will be a big improvement to have those removed.
Regards,
Kelly


Thank you for taking the time reply and the gratitude. You would be surprised how much that makes the poster's days. :D :D :D

The windows today are light years ahead and I would echo "randy's" advice to have them quote the Imperial LS or Elements.

randy does serve the Dallas area as well if you want to give him a shot at the business.


Top
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Decision Time In Dallas
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:08 pm 

Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 7:42 am
Posts: 3
Offline
I too am in the Dallas area - how can I get in touch with Randy?

-Kyle


Top
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Decision Time In Dallas
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:12 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:21 pm
Posts: 3726
Location: DC Metropolitan Area-Maryland/Virginia/DC
Offline
kpeavy wrote:
I too am in the Dallas area - how can I get in touch with Randy?

-Kyle



Click on the "Get a Quote" button under his name (3 posts up from here).


Top
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Decision Time In Dallas
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:37 pm 

Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 7:42 am
Posts: 3
Offline
Got it... thanks.

After sitting through a 2 hour Champion "presentation" yesterday and then being presented with a ridiculous price, I'm anxious to talk to somebody who knows what they are doing. :)

I've found lots of useful information in this forum... thanks to all for that.

I will be sure to post back how my project comes out.

Thanks,
Kyle


Top
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Decision Time In Dallas
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:48 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:21 pm
Posts: 3726
Location: DC Metropolitan Area-Maryland/Virginia/DC
Offline
kpeavy wrote:
Got it... thanks.

After sitting through a 2 hour Champion "presentation" yesterday and then being presented with a ridiculous price, I'm anxious to talk to somebody who knows what they are doing. :)

I've found lots of useful information in this forum... thanks to all for that.

I will be sure to post back how my project comes out.

Thanks,
Kyle


While I feel for your suffering, it is great to have that frame of reference so when you meet with a class individual and contractor like Randy, the difference will be even more clear.


Top
 
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group