Chicago Suburb Replacement Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
AlmostDone

Chicago Suburb Replacement Windows

#1 Post by AlmostDone »

Thanks to all the pros for their opinions. I started off with a quote from a local shop nearby in the Chicago suburbs that had tons of great reviews on Angie's List before I really dug into all the comments on this forum. We're looking to replace 19 DHs, along with two entry doors and a sliding door. The windows are driving the decision.

Most of the windows appear to be original to the house, which was built in 1926, and means lead based paint (am having it tested tomorrow - but all the quotes assume lead based paint).

15 measure 33.75 X 57.5
2 measure 31.75 X 45.5
2 measure 23.75 X 37.5 (1 of which would be frosted glass)

All will be white interior/white exterior. Double pane, Low-E, argon, grids in top sash only. All prices include capping the outside vinyl siding. All of the contractors seem reputable (BBB/Angie's List) and have small stores. We'll probably be in the house for 10 years or more, but you never know. Here are the quotes (windows only) - in the order that I got them:

Alside Sheffield - $8,645
Pella Impervia - $14,720
Sunrise - $11,910 (not the Essentials)
Integrity - $13,385
Lindsay (Sun View) - $9,985

The Alside and Pella are out. The remaining three have a narrow profile - about the same width, I think. I like the look of the Integrity the best (even if it's not the more detailed Infinity), and seems like a good price for the product. The Sunrise might be the happy medium. The Lindsay is the value pick - and price is a concern as I've got other projects to do. If money were no issue, I'd go Integrity, Sunrise and Lindsay. Funny how that pricing order works out.

The questions: Is the Lindsay enough of a value? Strong enough company? Comparable enough window to the Sunrise? (I also have a closer affinity for the installer/owner - a longtime community businessman, just around the corner, an older Polish guy with a Polish crew).

I like the looks of a fiberglass window better, so naturally I would consider it having higher resale value. That's really pushing the budget, but does seem like a better deal for the product (maybe I'm wrong on that though).

Again, the Sunrise might be the happy medium.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Chicago Suburb Replacement Windows

#2 Post by masterext »

looking at Lindsay, you can do alot better..i have to be honest.
also, there is a pro that frequents these boards that i know serves your area. he is not only a comsumate professional, but also one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. he goes by the name " windows4u " . just do a board search of his name and then click his contact button.. he carries a variety of high quality brands and i am 100% confident that you will be happy in the end..

AlmostDone

#3 Post by AlmostDone »

I tried contacting him on the sister site (replacement-windows.com) but never heard back. I just tried doing it on this site, but it doesn't seem like it's "taking". I fill out my zip - it says he serves my area - I complete the form and hit "request a quote.." and then......nothing. I just get the same screen with all of my information.

Interestingly, when searching this site for Lindsay, there wasn't a lot, but it was Window4U who said it wasn't a bad window (yes, that's not exactly an endorsement, but the Lindsay doesn't have the Alside pocket/snap-in sill design). I think I remember his website - he's about an hour away.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

AlmostDone wrote:I tried contacting him on the sister site (replacement-windows.com) but never heard back. I just tried doing it on this site, but it doesn't seem like it's "taking". I fill out my zip - it says he serves my area - I complete the form and hit "request a quote.." and then......nothing. I just get the same screen with all of my information.

Interestingly, when searching this site for Lindsay, there wasn't a lot, but it was Window4U who said it wasn't a bad window (yes, that's not exactly an endorsement, but the Lindsay doesn't have the Alside pocket/snap-in sill design). I think I remember his website - he's about an hour away.
I have one contact this week I've not reached so it is probably you. I'll give you a call tomorrow.
Thanks, Dave

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Dave,
Do you offer any fiberglass windows.
Since she leans towards the Impervia(not a great window).
PS. +10 to makeing sure you contact Dave.

Guy

#6 Post by Guy »

Been out of the loop for awhile but just dropped in. Almostdone the Lindsay company has been aquired by another Manufacturer from what I hear. Dont hold it as gospel but you may want to check. I would recommend standing clear until all the controversy is over. Dave will do you well. He's been in the trade for a couple years:) or so. He can even handle our cold MN Winters, cant you Dave? He will more than likely have a couple brands for you to choose from. Good Luck in your journey!!!

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

anthony wrote:Dave,
Do you offer any fiberglass windows.
Since she leans towards the Impervia(not a great window).
PS. +10 to makeing sure you contact Dave.
Yes, I have all the different types available.... vinyl, composite, fiberglass, clad wood. I agree with you about the Impervia. It's not the nicest looking window with all that heavy pile running up the frame.

AlmostDone

#8 Post by AlmostDone »

Dave, assuming I've got the right company (rhymes with "long"), I left you a message at your office number late Friday and emailed you today.

As I noted earlier, the Impervia is out. And while I like the Marvin Integrity, I just don't think I want to spend that much - the house is vinyl sided so, hey, the vinyl windows will match :wink:

So that leaves me, so far, with the Sunrise and Lindsay, which just opened a new plant west of me in Warrenville, IL.

Also, the Lindsay guy did a test on the oldest looking windows - at a spot where you could see bare wood, and it came up negative for lead paint. That will drop the price for all (assuming any other test is negative), leaving the difference between the Sunrise and Lindsay at about $2,500 or roughly $130 per window. I wish I had more money to spend, but I have so many wants/needs, which has me leaning toward the Lindsay.

The question for you pros - what's the cheapest window you could stomach putting in your own house - or at least the house of your poor brother? :)

AlmostDone

#9 Post by AlmostDone »

Dave - just checked my voicemail. Glad we finally connected and thanks for the follow-up email. I'll reply there.

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

They should be testing all parts of the window for lead. That would include the interior side of the sash, the exterior side of the sash, the jambs, the blindstops, the wells ect. If any part is positive full rules apply. Of all the parts listed the interior side of the sash is the part least likely to have lead.

What are the specs and performance number of the Lindsay vs Sunrise?

AlmostDone

#11 Post by AlmostDone »

The Sunrise have a U-factor of 0.29 and a SHGC of 0.28. The LIndsay (SunView) has a U-factor of 0.29 and a SHGC of 0.22, with a VT of 0.5.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

AlmostDone wrote:The Sunrise have a U-factor of 0.29 and a SHGC of 0.28. The LIndsay (SunView) has a U-factor of 0.29 and a SHGC of 0.22, with a VT of 0.5.
The SHGC of .22 is on the low side for Chicago IMO. I would rather be higher than .25 whenever possible. The other component to look at is the structural ratings: Air infiltration/leakage, and design pressure.
You are in good hands if you're talking to Dave. I'm willing to bet that he can offer you no less than three or four options that will beat the Lindsay in every measurable area.

AlmostDone

#13 Post by AlmostDone »

I've spoken with Dave - I've been considering waiting until next year for a bigger budget to get a better window but may still be able to do something sooner (Dave, I sent you a new email yesterday).

Anyway, I saw the following on another post which I believe relate to DH windows:

Starmark edge of frame to glass - 3.625" (equal site lines)
Marvin (Infinity, I think) edge of frame to glass - 2.625" (looks to be equal site lines)
Okna 500 edge of frame to glass - 2.875"

Anyone know what the Sunrise width is? Other slim profile windows? What windows are the slimmest? And for comparison sake, an Alside offering, such as Sheffield?

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

I don't have exact numbers handy, but the Sunrise offering will be rather slim, between the Okna and Infinity if I am not mistaken. The Alside is one of the bulkier products that you'll find, and with marginal performance stats. Not a good combo, IMO. See attached for a nice comparison between them, compliments of DAVE. :D
SheffieldComparison.jpg
Sunrise vs Sheffield
(90.27 KiB) Downloaded 294 times

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

AlmostDone wrote:I've spoken with Dave - I've been considering waiting until next year for a bigger budget to get a better window but may still be able to do something sooner (Dave, I sent you a new email yesterday).

Anyway, I saw the following on another post which I believe relate to DH windows:

Starmark edge of frame to glass - 3.625" (equal site lines)
Marvin (Infinity, I think) edge of frame to glass - 2.625" (looks to be equal site lines)
Okna 500 edge of frame to glass - 2.875"

Anyone know what the Sunrise width is? Other slim profile windows? What windows are the slimmest? And for comparison sake, an Alside offering, such as Sheffield?
That post you copied was mine previously.

If you are staying with the Starmark, it is larger than most of the other HiMark windows (i.e. Insul-Tec, PrecisionWeld, and EnviroStar). I would wait until the new Starmark is out. It should be on the slimmer side.

The Sunrise will have a nearly identical frame profile/width to the HiMark Insul-Tec (500) which is also comparable to the Soft-Lite Bainbridge/Barrington and these guys are some of the slimmest out there. I don't know of any, off the top of my head, slimmer vinyl windows nor would I trust any of them until proved otherwise.

The Sheffield is a tank a HomeSealed posted up that picture.

There