Soft lite Pro vs Simonton 5500

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
robert703

Soft lite Pro vs Simonton 5500

#1 Post by robert703 »

I am replacing 34 dh windows and have a bid from a reliable installer using either soft lite pro or simonton 5500. Based on what I've read, it appears that the soft lite pro might be the "better" window but I'd appreciate opinions from the pros on this board. (the installer will do the job with either window for the same price so cost is not a consideration.)

Thanks.
Robert

HomeSealed

Re: Soft lite Pro vs Simonton 5500

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Both are solid "B" grade choices and will serve you well. Depending on the price, you may want to look at the Softlite Elements/LS, HiMark 800/500, or Sunrise Restorations/Vanguard, (A level choices), but if you are getting a great deal, those products are solid.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

Both are good but the Soft-Lite will have better performance numbers and more standard features.I say the Soft-Lite unless the physical appearance of the Simonton is more appealing. The Simonton could be upgraded to have similar performance numbers if desired.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

The Pro is the better of that combination with better air tightness numbers and more glass.

+1 on also looking at some of the higher end version of windows inside of that brand and others. The Pro is still a very good window but Soft-Lite's Imperial LS and Elements are really good option as are windows from HiMark, Sunrise, etc.

robert703

#5 Post by robert703 »

Thanks for the quick feedback! I will ask about the LS and see how much more that might cost. The quoted price for the Pro is about $410 per window, installed. Is that a decent price?

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Yes.

Any quality window near that number is going to be on the bottom end of the price spectrum.

Considering that is near what some of the other big outfits charge for junk, you are doing great at that number.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. That price is about the bare minimum that you'll find something decent at. The LS will be more, but if the pricing on it is as good as you are getting on the Pro, you should be able to get a great deal.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

Your installer probally does not have access to the higher end models as they not available to everyone. If that price includes wrapping it would be a great price indeed.

robert703

#9 Post by robert703 »

The quoted price does include wrapping so I'm glad to hear that I'm getting a good deal.

I appreciate all of the feedback -- it's reassuing for someone like me who doesn't know a lot about windows to hear from pros like you guys that I'm getting a solid product at a good price.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#10 Post by masterext »

Robert, a good deal isnt just a good price, its a solid install with a solid window.
the soft lite pro is indeed a good product. 410 is very cheap for that window though..its usually higher than that. wonder why its being offered that low.
let us know how everything went.

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Price seems low to me.
I am not saying someone can't do a good job at that number just don't see it happen very often.