replacement comparision

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
HomeSealed

Re: replacement comparision

#16 Post by HomeSealed »

SamSam wrote: Not too impressed and I also find the pocket sill to be an odd design. While it somehow makes the window look more flush or flat on the front, I can't help but think that those drainage channels might or will get clogged at one point including the weep holes... And on the Air Infiltration rating, still no word. They either do not know the number or do not want to say it because it is not good.
https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?
SamSam wrote:Almost forgot, on the installation part he said they do not use any minimum expanding foam when they put in the window. The reason for that is because the space in between walls is there to help the house 'breath'. They do seal it from the inside and outside, but not around the frame of the window. What are your thoughts on that?
:shock: :shock: :shock: ... This is absolutely ridiculous. RUN as fast as you can from this company. Air sealing on every level is one of the largest contributors to your home's overall performance, and this guy clearly has no concept of that.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#17 Post by masterext »

i remember a home depot salesman saying you dont need foam in the mainframe of a window so the window could breath. of course thats because simonton doesnt foam fill their frames.i dont know which statement is more ridiculous.

randy

#18 Post by randy »

I can't help but think that those drainage channels might or will get clogged at one point including the weep holes.
Your instincts are correct. Additionally, in Houston, wherever there's moisture without sunlight, you get mildew. Mildew in the pocket and mildew inside the mainframe. Not good.

Also, the opening part of the window did not feel tight when closed. I was able to move it slightly back and forth , up and down.
This is called "slop" which just means that the manufacturing tolerances are very loose, which results in a high Air Leakage rating.
on the installation part he said they do not use any minimum expanding foam when they put in the window. The reason for that is because the space in between walls is there to help the house 'breath'.
As others have already said, this is ignorance on display. It's really just another way of saying that a house needs to leak air. Conditioned air needs to be kept inside, and unconditioned air needs to be kept outside - always. On newer houses that are built to be extremely airtight, fresh air is indeed brought indoors, but on on a controlled & conditioned basis - not by allowing the air to infiltrate around the perimeter of the windows. Again, most window salespeople (in Texas at least) know very little about windows and proper installation.

The NT Executive is a good option for a mid-level window, as is the NT Energy Master.

SamSam

#19 Post by SamSam »

Thanks guys, valuable feedback is much appreciated.
I have been trying to figure out the main difference between NT Energy Master vs NT Executive Series and besides the former having more options, I can not really tell why it is considered better. The Energy Master has what it looks like 2 large chambers in the frame whereas Executive has 4 smaller ones. I remember reading in various places it's better for the frame to have multiple chambers. If glass options are the same on both, what is it about the Energy Master that makes it a better window?
An update on quotes, just met with someone and I got to see the Energy Master in person, so to speak. The guy only said it is a better, more solid frame. That is why it's better than Executive. Also, this window he showed me, has foam wrapped around the frame. Comes like that from the factory. It looks pretty interesting and neat, hope it's a good thing. Also, he even beat the quote of the Home Craftsman guy, by quite a bit too, pretty cool.

TheWindowNerd

#20 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yep you want the drain plane to breath. You do not want the space around the window to breath.
That person is not creditable.