SilverLine by Andersen - No Choice Live in a Condo

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
eagle107

SilverLine by Andersen - No Choice Live in a Condo

#1 Post by eagle107 »

Hi Everyone,

I currently live in a condo in Berkeley Heights, NJ and have original SilverLine windows the building contractor put in almost 20 years ago when the complex was built. Needless to say, these windows are falling apart and the metal arms have disintegrated due to rust. Because there are so many issues with these original windows in the complex the condo association has approved us to purchase new windows, but they have to be SilverLine by Andersen windows and no other kind. These windows in the condo are casement windows and I guess they will be the 7500 model seeing there no other model except for the impact 7550 series. So how good is the 7500 series window? What is a fair price to pay for these types of windows (I do not have the dimensions yet, but when I get them, I will post them)? In addition, any benefit getting LoE3 with Argon Gas versus getting LoE2 with Argon Gas? Thank you for your time and help with this.

HomeSealed

Re: SilverLine by Andersen - No Choice Live in a Condo

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

In my experience condo boards can only regulate the exterior appearance, and it would not be difficult to find a better product with a similar look and matching color.
On pricing there are too many factors to give a number out of the blue, but if you provide some details and a price or two that you've been quoted, we can generally give a thumbs up or down as to whether or not it is in the reasonable range.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

i do many townhomes and condo's and they cannot demand you use a certain brand of windows.. i am 100% certain about this. the window just has to be the same exterior color and have the same grid configuration. i just had a situation where the owner was told only a certain brand of windows was allowed..i knew it wasnt possible so i went to the association office and of course they let me install a much better brand.
silverline and MI Windows are popular with townhomes and condo's because the builders are using the cheapest/ lowest quality materials. both silverline and MI are low end brands and not something you would want to pay for or put in your home.
the reson your silverline windows are falling apart is because of their low quality.
there are much better brands out there. i would look at okna windows , sunrise, soft lite, or gorell.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 to the other comments.

It has been my experience that if you do the research and know what you are looking at/doing, the condo boards will often defer to the more learned person on the project.

randy

#5 Post by randy »

Masterext serves New Jersey, with top tier products and superior installation techniques. I'd highly recommend him to you and your board. There's a "get a quote" button under his name that will get you in contact with him.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 to randy's commentary on masterext.

eagle107

#7 Post by eagle107 »

Guys,

This is great information! Thank for the help. I was wondering how the Simonton windows were? Are they still good? Also, what is your thoughts on the LoE2 vs LoE3 Argon Gas filled? Is the LoE3 worth the extra money? Last time I purchased windows, I was told LoE3 was not worth the extra money. Not sure if that changed.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Loe2 vs Loe3 can sometimes vary depending on manufacturer and the way that the salesperson is describing it. You want to look at the performance (U value and SHGC) vs cost difference. In PA, you want the U value to be as low as possible, but the shgc should be moderate in most cases, about .25 or higher. If it is significantly lower than that, you would be paying a premium for a glass package that would have no improvement (or possibly even negative) in overall efficiency.
MasterExt is a very knowledgeable guy that can steer you in the right direction if you are in his area.

Bill

#9 Post by Bill »

Simonton is still a good solid product we have been selling it for years and we consistently receive positive feedback from our customers. If you look into Simonton I would consider the Impressions 9800 or the Reflections 5500.

I would not use Low-e3 in your location.

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

You might have a hard time finding a window that will match Silverline's special blue tinted white vinyl.

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

toddinmn wrote:You might have a hard time finding a window that will match Silverline's special blue tinted white vinyl.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

toddinmn wrote:You might have a hard time finding a window that will match Silverline's special blue tinted white vinyl.
Well played my friend! :lol:

eagle107

#13 Post by eagle107 »

I do not have to worry about that, the windows are almond. Hopefully, I will get a quote tomorrow or early next week for the windows.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#14 Post by masterext »

dont worry, the blue tint also shows up in almond as do the cheap looking welds.

eagle107

#15 Post by eagle107 »

Guys,

I received the quote for the windows and they would be SilverLine by Andersen 7500 casements. The front window that is approximately 53 1/4 L x 58 1/2 W was quoted for $1650.00.
The bedroom windows is approximately 42 L x 59 1/2 W was quoted for $1260.00.
The kitchen window is approximately 31 1/2 L x 31 1/2 was quoted for $720.00.

I believe, but need to verify, that the windows will have LoE2 with Argon Gas.

The total quote is $3,630.00 for the three windows and installation; might able to get it down to $3,230.00 for the total. Is this reasonable?
I have also attached images of three of my windows.

I was told that this is the only windows I can purchase because the Board approved it and this is it. The guy stated it took him months to find these windows that the Board would approve and that other manufacturers could not come close to this design or style. I do not know if this is correct or not. What do you think based on the pictures of my windows?
Attachments
kitchenwindowv2.jpg
Current SilverLine Kitchen Window
(139.84 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
BedroomWindowv2.jpg
Current SilverLine Bedroom Window
(255.1 KiB) Downloaded 357 times
FrontWindow.jpg
Current SilverLine Front Window
(239.8 KiB) Downloaded 264 times