Reasonable quote?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
sirtwist

Reasonable quote?

#1 Post by sirtwist »

Hi everyone, first post here.

I'm looking for replacement vinyl windows for our house in the NW suburbs of Chicago. We're looking for something of decent quality that won't break the bank because we plan to sell the house in the next couple of years and the windows are just one of many projects we need to accomplish before we can do that.

Anyway, I've gotten quotes from Pella (I know, they're not good), Feldco, Power Home Remodeling and a local contractor who uses Alside Excalibur (I know, also not great).

After reading through some threads here I was lead to believe that Soft-Lite windows are good. First, is this a correct assessment?

We got a quote from a reputable local contractor for both Soft-Lite Imperial LS and Soft-Lite Barrington. Thoughts on these two lines?

The quote is for 17 double hungs of various sizes and 1 awning with obscured glass. The Imperial LS came in at $10,673 ($592.94 avg per window) and the Barrington came in at $9,551 ($530.61 avg per window).

For comparison's sake, Pella came in at around $13K, Feldco was $11.8K, Power was really expensive at like $18K and the local contractor pushing Alside was super cheap at like $7.5K.

Thoughts and help appreciated. :) Thanks in advance.

George

Windows on Washington

Re: Reasonable quote?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The LS is certainly the better of the two units in this comparison and has a more finished look than the Barrington.

There is a poster on the board by the name of "Window4U" who is right in the Chicago area. A quick search of his posts will find you several examples of pleased customers.

The LS is one of the better windows out there but Dave (Window4U) has a couple of really good options that are on the level with the LS with arguably better aesthetics.

You can find him here in this thread and click on his name for contact information: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5499

TheWindowNerd

Re: Reasonable quote?

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

+1
Dave has best products, great installs, super customer sastisfaction.
thewindownerd...