Replacing Windows Little Rock, AR

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
kyle4030

Replacing Windows Little Rock, AR

#1 Post by kyle4030 »

I am replacing 5 DH windows (72" high x 32" wide), 2 DH double windows (52" high x 73" wide), 1 DH window (52" wide x 32" wide) and 2 DH windows (36" high x 24" wide).

I have some contractors that are coming to give me some estimates next week. What would be some good windows and what would be the expected price for them? Does anyone have any recommendations or warnings on contractors in Little Rock? We are most likely going to go with DH windows as replacements, but how much more do casements usually cost?

Some windows that I will be considering:

Soft-Lite
Alside
Simonton
Great Lakes Seabrooke
Plygem
Pella

OKNA windows are not available, nor are Champion. I have put in inquiries on the Sunrise and Gorell websites, but have not received any information about dealers in the area.

If there is something I should know or should be considering, please let me know. Thanks for any information/advice.

randy

Re: Replacing Windows Little Rock, AR

#2 Post by randy »

Casements might be $30.00 - $50.00 more per unit.

Sunrise has a presence in Arkansas and should be considered. I wouldn't even bother with Alside, as the products are poorly designed, and their performance is sub-par.

Make sure the installation utilizes minimal expanding foam around the perimeter for maximum protection against air and water migration.

kyle4030

#3 Post by kyle4030 »

Thanks for the reply. I will cross Alside off the list. Any opinion on the NT Windows Energy Master series? Thanks again.

randy

#4 Post by randy »

NT's Energy Master is a good mid-range vinyl window. It's not in the same league as Soft-lite, Sunrise, Okna, or Gorell but I'd compare it to Simonton or Plygem. If you're wanting casements, Sunrise has one of the nicest in the industry.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

randy nailed it on the head and he knows the NT window better than anyone else on this board.

kyle4030

#6 Post by kyle4030 »

Thanks for all your advice. I have gotten some estimates to replace our windows and listed them below. I am leaning heavily toward the Soft-Lite Imperial LS double hung windows in beige, but would like to hear what others think. Again the windows we are replacing are:

5 DH windows (72" high x 32" wide)
2 DH double windows (52" high x 73" wide)
1 DH window (52" wide x 32" wide)
2 DH windows (36" high x 24" wide).

I believe that means we have 10 openings and 12 windows. All of the estimates are with Low-E and Argon and include colonial grids.

The estimates are:

Nu View
Casement in white or beige inside/outside- $9504

Soft-Lite Imperial LS
DH in beige outside/inside - $6000 (with earth/gray outside and white inside it would be $7576)
Casement in beige outside/inside- $8388 (with earth/gray outside and white inside it would be $10,150)

Sunrise
DH in earth/gray outside and white inside - $7072
Casement in earth/gray outside and white inside - $8320
I am not sure if those prices include a $500 rebate or not

Great Lakes Seabrooke
DH in earth/gray outside and white inside - $5562
This includes a "free" triple pane upgrade

Ply Gem Mastic 4000 series
DH in earth/gray outside and white inside - $5900

Any further advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

In DH, I'd go Softlite, Sunrise, Great Lakes in that order, and toss the other two. The LS is the best window of that group and that is a good price, so that would be my choice. If on the other hand you are going casement, I'd probably give the nod to the Sunrise.

MrRogersWindows

#8 Post by MrRogersWindows »

I just took a look at your list and I see that you have not included Andersen windows. I would recommend that you check out their site, learn about their windows, because Andersen has been making windows for over a century – since 1904. They
really are number one in terms of replacement windows.

In fact, a lot of good window manufacturers are going to composite frames these days because of all the bowing and warping that has been experienced with vinyl frames. Andersen, I have to say, makes one of the finest composites on the market, FIBREX, but regardless of which company you choose, do consider a composite frame and avoid vinyl.

There’s a great article about the perils and pitfalls of vinyl windows on the Federal Trade Commission site, you know, the FTC.

Also, read up about the issues with aluminum-clad wood frames! They’re not the best choice either. It really is a good idea to do as much research as you can before you make your final decision. Research first – that’s my advice!

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

MrRogersWindows wrote:I just took a look at your list and I see that you have not included Andersen windows. I would recommend that you check out their site, learn about their windows, because Andersen has been making windows for over a century – since 1904. They

In fact, a lot of good window manufacturers are going to composite frames these days because of all the bowing and warping that has been experienced with vinyl frames. Andersen, I have to say, makes one of the finest composites on the market, FIBREX, but regardless of which company you choose, do consider a composite frame and avoid vinyl.

There’s a great article about the perils and pitfalls of vinyl windows on the Federal Trade Commission site, you know, the FTC.

Also, read up about the issues with aluminum-clad wood frames! They’re not the best choice either. It really is a good idea to do as much research as you can before you make your final decision. Research first – that’s my advice!
Mr Rogers, on what do you base your characterization of Andersen being "number one in terms of replacement windows", and in reference to Renewal by Andersen "makes one of the finest composites on the market, FIBREX,"?
1) That product is comprised primarily of vinyl (mixed with wood flour= essentially saw dust)
2) The performance ratings are not in the upper echelon of any window, regardless of material
3) The claims put forth by you and others that tout that product against vinyl hold no water, other than if we are talking about bottom of the barrel products.

High quality vinyl will outperform that product in every measurable area, have a much better warranty, and often be priced lower. The warranty on the Fibrex product is only 10 years! That certainly is not indicative of a top quality product in my opinion.
In the interest of disclosure, I sell and install windows of virtually every material including composites, and I believe that each has their own distinct pros and cons. The problem with Fibrex in my opinion, is that it is the answer to a question that nobody asked. It has the same poor warranty and high price (in my experience) that you would get with a wood window, without offering the superior performance of a vinyl product, or other composites such as Starmark or Inline fiberglass.

randy

#10 Post by randy »

Also, read up about the issues with aluminum-clad wood frames! They’re not the best choice either.
Actually, extruded aluminum cladding is a great choice in wood windows. Far superior to Andersen's vinyl cladding or Pella's roll form cladding.

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Interesting how proganda gets going.
Andersen has alot of nice product lines. Some are vinyl!, some are vinyl clad wood, some are aluminum clad wood, some are composite, and some are composite and wood.
Unfortunately large mfg must offer everything and at all price points and thus various quality levels.
My beef with the big three wood mfg is that they do not have lifetime warranties, and worst yet they do not care about the most energy effeciency( based on a comparision of thermal and structural test data).

TommyJ

#12 Post by TommyJ »

Allow me to debunk most of the bunk in Mr. Roger's posting. Seems to be a whole bunch of misinformation from someone who is a supposed expert.
MrRogersWindows wrote:I just took a look at your list and I see that you have not included Andersen windows. I would recommend that you check out their site, learn about their windows, because Andersen has been making windows for over a century – since 1904. They
While the age of the company may have been a factor several years ago, recent economic struggles have clearly highlighted that company age in no way shape or form translates to company health or sustainability.

If the poster was thinking about wood, I would throw the Andersen 400 in that comparison as well.
MrRogersWindows wrote: In fact, a lot of good window manufacturers are going to composite frames these days because of all the bowing and warping that has been experienced with vinyl frames. Andersen, I have to say, makes one of the finest composites on the market, FIBREX, but regardless of which company you choose, do consider a composite frame and avoid vinyl.
Pure and utter nonsensical garbage. You have posted on this board on several occasion that you are here to help but then you post up something like this? Please provide one singular example of one of the vinyl windows that are commonly recommended on this board where the frame bowed as a result of the vinyl's lack of strength.

This "information" that you have posted is complete BS and I see where you have placed "F*Brex" (I will not do it as you have done to further the search'ability of that term) in all caps. Very coy.

Again, I would like to see one cited example of a well engineered vinyl window bowing as a result of the frames lack of structural integrity.

Why don't we talk about the frame warranty on your recommend composite? 10 years...? Hardly seems stout in terms of warranty or shows any real faith in that superior frame material.

How about Design Pressure (Performance Grade)? That is the true indication of a window's structural stability under pressure. I can think of vinyl windows with a DP/PG of 60+. What is the F*brex Renewal.....40 or below I think.
MrRogersWindows wrote: There’s a great article about the perils and pitfalls of vinyl windows on the Federal Trade Commission site, you know, the FTC.
You are probably referencing this drummed (sponsored and paid for by non-vinyl manufacturers) up site with a bunch of 15 year old tests on builders grade junk windows. http://www.vinyl-windows.org/ If you are going to use that as the backbone of an argument, perhaps you should check your facts.

Using builders grade garbage as the characterization of a product would therefore rule out every wood window in production too because those things fail as fast as they are produced. I guess we should avoid wood.

While you bring up the FTC...here are two articles that are actually about the FTC and their recommendation of vinyl windows.

http://www.vinylnewsservice.net/MainMen ... ndows.aspx
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consum ... rea20.shtm

Copied right from the FTC, "Vinyl-framed windows insulate well and don't need painting"
MrRogersWindows wrote: Also, read up about the issues with aluminum-clad wood frames! They’re not the best choice either. It really is a good idea to do as much research as you can before you make your final decision. Research first – that’s my advice!
You should take some of your own advice and do a bit more research. Your post clearly demonstrates and overwhelming bias and reliance on propaganda information.

Composites are absolutely a great choice for windows in many cases but not based on any of the rationale you have cited. You might want to educate yourself a bit more prior to holding yourself out as an expert and destroying what little credibility you have left.