Just started looking for windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tmal14

Just started looking for windows

#1 Post by tmal14 »

Currently, I’m beginning to start the window buying process. We have some very damaged/broken seals on some of our windows and they need to be replaced.
I’ve already had one quote come in super high (18k) for Sunrise Windows, and the company is going to see if they can rework the numbers with Sunrise, and also the Soft Lite brand windows.

I’m looking to replace
8 17x65 picture
2 27x41 DH
4 27x65 DH
2 47x53 DH
3 47x65 Slider
2 57x65 Slider/Picture
2 58x72 Slider (tempered)

The salesperson indicate that the two larger windows (58x72) would need to be tempered since they are less than 18 inches from the floor, and also that our bathroom would also need to be tempered since it’s close to the tub. What are the rules on having/not having tempered glass. The house was built in 1994. I’m not worried about the cost, if it’s really the rule now, but I’m worried about being upsold onto a feature I don’t need that adds a lot to the cost.

Also, the sales person indicated that it’s just a sunrise window, he doesn’t know the model (ie Soft Lite Imperial LS, etc). There isn’t much on the sunrise window website to indicate the different models that are carried. Is this something to be concerned about?
I have some more appointments this weekend, unfortunately I’m going to have to sit through the presentation to get the quote, as they won’t give me one without discussing the windows first. Does anyone have any pointers on what to look out for regarding the presentations? What information is BS or not.

Sorry this post is all over the place, but I’m just getting started. Trying to not make the same mistakes as the last time when I bought windows for my old house.

If anyone knows of a good company/installer/window for the Cleveland, OH area please let me know.

Thanks.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Just started looking for windows

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

In the area and with the general specifications that you have mentioned tempered glass is the law.

Yep, ya got to kiss a few frogs to find the prince.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

Agreed. Tempered is required in your specified applications.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+2 on the tempered. On Sunrise, they have a model that is simply called Sunrise, so I'm sure that is what he is selling. Nothing to be alarmed about, it is a nice window.

kelemer brothers

#5 Post by kelemer brothers »

First in answer to your tempered question: Basically the above responses are correct, any glass within 18" of the floor needs to be tempered; the exception is as follows: if the glass is less than 9 sq. feet and it's not next to a door way. This is something that most builders know, not window companies. In your situation, the glass is greater than 9 sq. feet, and you would need to temper it.

As far as the Manufacturer:

Soft-lite is a a very reputable company. I use their window myself and regardless of the product you get, the quality is consistent and the air infiltration ratings are excellent (in other words, it's a tight product). If it's the Imperial L.S. then it's one of their top lines. A fair price is usually in the upper $400 range, installed ( but of course every job is different and it depends what features are with the product. The U value is .27, Design pressure is 65, and the air infiltration is .02: These are some of the best numbers in the industry, and they have the Test lab reports to back everything up. In fact: I would not use a window, unless I've seen these reports myself.

More importantly is choosing the company to do your work - regardless of the Manufacturer: 1: You can never have too many references
2: Do they have financial References
3: Check out their BBB rating and complaint history
4: Is the Company on Angies list -Awards, rating, etc.
You do not have a Crystal ball, but checking out these facts can prevent a heartache of problems.
All the best,

TommyJ

#6 Post by TommyJ »

kelemer brothers wrote:First in answer to your tempered question: Basically the above responses are correct, any glass within 18" of the floor needs to be tempered; the exception is as follows: if the glass is less than 9 sq. feet and it's not next to a door way. This is something that most builders know, not window companies. In your situation, the glass is greater than 9 sq. feet, and you would need to temper it.
Not quite correct. The door way is not a disqualifying requirement.

Glazing in an individual fixed or operable panel, other than those locations described in Items 5 and 6 above, that meets all of the following conditions:

7.1. Exposed area of an individual pane greater than 9 square feet (0.836 m2).

7.2. Bottom edge less than 18 inches (457 mm) above the floor.

7.3. Top edge greater than 36 inches (914 mm) above the floor.

7.4. One or more walking surfaces within 36 inches (914 mm) horizontally of the glazing.

http://publicecodes.citation.com/st/fl/ ... par005.htm

Codes should also be the minimum requirement and if the customer have children, they should be made aware of the option of tempered glass and the safety benefit it provides.

kelemer brothers wrote: More importantly is choosing the company to do your work - regardless of the Manufacturer: 1: You can never have too many references
2: Do they have financial References
3: Check out their BBB rating and complaint history
4: Is the Company on Angies list -Awards, rating, etc.
You do not have a Crystal ball, but checking out these facts can prevent a heartache of problems.
All the best,
What are "financial" references? You would require a banking letter?