UltraWeld window

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tmal14

UltraWeld window

#1 Post by tmal14 »

I was quoted 486/per window for the Polaris UltraWeld, with the intercept super spacer, argon low e double pane window. All have the aluminum support, and insulated frames. Some of the windows and have wood grain as well and blinds as well.

From researching on the board I understand these windows are built well, and are considered to be good to great windows. Built like a tank is used to describe the window.

Do to the substantial nature of the window I have a concern is the width of glass I might have on my side lite that are approx 17x65. I worried about having it look like all window and a sliver of glass.

Does anyone know how wide the glass might be in the side lite area with that size window?

Are their options glass wise I should consider upgrading to? I live in cleveland OH.

Should I worry about the blinds in the glass? Typically how well do these types of blinds hold up and are they covered by warranty?

The other company I had come out is a lot more money for the sunrise window, which admittedly is a prettier window and a thinner window. Is there really that much difference in the width of the window and the glass between the 2. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to look at them side by side.

Thanks.

HomeSealed

Re: UltraWeld window

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

To me, you can't go wrong either way. Both are "A" level, each having minor pros and cons. On the blinds, I'm not a fan of them in windows for aesthetic reasons, but I have not seen many service issues and I do like them in patio doors.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

The UltraWeld is a solidly built window and that pricing is aggressive with those options.

You are going to loose some glass and you will have a narrower window as compared to the Sunrise offering.

The UltraWeld is certainly not the thickest of the frames out there but is does run on the medium to high side.

Ultimately, the differences between that window and the sunrise will be about 0.5" per side.

tmal14

#4 Post by tmal14 »

Thanks for the replies,

To add more fun to the mix I had a rep out to quote the Imperial LS today and he brought up some "issues" with the prior two windows I was quoted on. However he never asked what window just the companies.

First he said the Imperial LS wood grain is far superior since it's applied through the window making process, and the others are a laminate that's applied after the window already has been made. He also mentioned that the others have white on the sides in the track area, where the LS is wood grain throughout. Also made a big deal about weep holes.

Secondly he gave me a whole demonstration about condensation using some fancy chemical names and his window doesn't have that problem due to the super spacer and the faulty nature of the other guys spacer systems. and also their systems will lose argon b/c of the flex in the glass. I should expect to lose argon each year.

Lastly when he gave me a quote without doing any noticeable math, just a number and my immediate discounts for their special promos going right now. Made me kind of question the basis of his #, but didn't matter because I wasn't going to do anything today. I asked him to email me the quote with the amount/window and he seemed hesitant, we'll see.

Would probably not work with this guy if it wasn't for the 0% financing they have, and also the Imperical LS as they are the largest Soft lite dealer in my area.

Is the UltraWeld a much lesser window then the Imperial LS?

Also the company carries alside does anyone recommend any line from that company that has cherry woodgrain?

Is any of the information I was provided to me at the presentation anything to be worried about?

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

tmal14 wrote:Thanks for the replies,

To add more fun to the mix I had a rep out to quote the Imperial LS today and he brought up some "issues" with the prior two windows I was quoted on. However he never asked what window just the companies.
Most skilled sales reps have a good idea of what other windows are in the market or at minimum, have pre-rehersed trigger arguments to attempt to undermine a competitor. This is nothing new to the sales industry or the window industry.
tmal14 wrote:First he said the Imperial LS wood grain is far superior since it's applied through the window making process, and the others are a laminate that's applied after the window already has been made. He also mentioned that the others have white on the sides in the track area, where the LS is wood grain throughout. Also made a big deal about weep holes.
Interior wood laminates are all applied very similarly and Soft-Lite's process is not different than the next guys nor do they produce their own laminate.

As far as the jambs, I am not sure how Polaris does it but I do know they are not white.

The UltraWeld is a fully welded sloped sill as well and does not rely on weep holes.
tmal14 wrote:Secondly he gave me a whole demonstration about condensation using some fancy chemical names and his window doesn't have that problem due to the super spacer and the faulty nature of the other guys spacer systems. and also their systems will lose argon b/c of the flex in the glass. I should expect to lose argon each year.
He is full of it. While a non-metallic spacer will have slightly better edge of glass performance that a metal warm edge, there are plenty of metal warm edge systems that work great and retain argon just as well, if not better, than the super spacer.
tmal14 wrote:Lastly when he gave me a quote without doing any noticeable math, just a number and my immediate discounts for their special promos going right now. Made me kind of question the basis of his #, but didn't matter because I wasn't going to do anything today. I asked him to email me the quote with the amount/window and he seemed hesitant, we'll see.
I wouldn't hold my breath on getting the quote.
tmal14 wrote:Would probably not work with this guy if it wasn't for the 0% financing they have, and also the Imperical LS as they are the largest Soft lite dealer in my area.
Ask your other vendor about financing, but make no mistake, you are paying for that option regardless.
tmal14 wrote:Is the UltraWeld a much lesser window then the Imperial LS?
Not at all. As a matter of fact, the Ultra has a slightly tighter air infiltration number if you want to get technical.
tmal14 wrote:Also the company carries alside does anyone recommend any line from that company that has cherry woodgrain?
Not if your other options are the UltraWeld or LS
tmal14 wrote:Is any of the information I was provided to me at the presentation anything to be worried about?
Not as it pertains to the UltraWeld. Now, I might be a bit suspect of the salesperson on the LS but I think you were more worried about the UltraWeld.

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

Sounds like when he is referring to the white in the tracks area he is pointing out that since the LS has balance covers, it would have the wood grain laminate on the balance cover which would cover the jambs. I'm also guessing that you may have seen an Edgetech Super Spacer demo as far as the spacer goes? The LS is a solid window.

Since my level of expectations has the bar raised really high, many of even the most regarding vinyl offerings still need a little nip tuck and file work here and there to finish off nicely.

tmal14

#7 Post by tmal14 »

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not going to hold my breath on the quote. :) It was just odd because I have very non standard size windows in part of my house that need unique options. I was amazed that he was able to just pull a number out thin air. And truthfully the number was decent.

The comment about paying for the financing, means that there is bump up in price to use the 0% financing?

I've bought windows 6 years ago, but after reading this site for a couple of weeks. I'm more prepared this time around. Last time I got windows I had to sit through a horribly long presentation, and got the sale person phone call to his "uncle/boss" who had a one time only discount available just for me. Not this time.

Real question about the space system though for the utlraweld. Currently I'm looking at the enegry smart supreme (outside-glass-argon-low e glass) should I bump up to the Superme 2 (outside-lowE-argon-glass) not sure what the real world difference is. Also would it be worth it for triple pane for my windows without blinds. I'm stuck with double pain since I have blinds on some of my windows.

There is also a solar ban 70 option, has a grey/green tint is that worth it as well? and is the tint that noticeable. I know for most of these windows its not so much the window itself, but the glass options you use with it.

In regards for the jamb issue, I'm going to have who ever I use to come back out and go over everything. If any white is showing it can't be much. There are only two windows that are going to be double hung with wood grain. The rest are pictures/sliders, so no balance cover issues with the jambs.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Lump sum or fixed window pricing is not uncommon. This is just an opinion on my part, but I do seem to see more of that with companies that are at a bit higher price-point as compared to the companies that break it down a bit more by size.

There is a cost of doing financing and it is probably rolled into the price of your contract.

Glad to hear the the site has helped you out.

Low-e surface will change the dynamics of the window a bit and it depends largely on your requirements and concerns.

I don't see a necessity for Solarban 70 in your region of the country.

The UltraWeld does have jamb liners and the in the case of woodgrain interiors, they tend to make them a beige or other non-objectionable color.

tmal14

#9 Post by tmal14 »

in regard to the mini blinds in the ultraweld.

Do they tilt and lift or tilt only. I've talked to the dealer I'm working with and he said they tilt and lift (he verified it), to double check I called Polaris and they said they tilt only.

Does anyone have any info regarding this?

Price/install aside how would this window compare to the Soft Lite Pro?

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

From my inside rep at Polaris:

…..miniblinds right now are tilting only – we are working on introducing the raise and tilt blinds in windows by the end of this year.

The UltraWeld is a better window than the pro in my opinion based on the numbers, heft, general stability.

The Pro is a good window and would serve you well, I just give the nod to the UltraWeld.