Window Installation Insulation

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
kyle4030

Window Installation Insulation

#1 Post by kyle4030 »

We had our windows installed yesterday and today. We had Softlite Imperial LS windows installed. The gaps on the side of the windows were "filled" with a rigid flat piece of foam. On the first window there is only 1 piece of foam and it comes nowhere close to filling in the gap. I questioned the installers about this and asked them about using a minimally expanding foam. They told me that spray foam was no good and that they never use it. They then used 2 pieces of flat foam on the rest of the windows. This filled it in a bit more but it is certainly not air tight.

Four of the windows are in a part of the house I am renovating. As a result, the inside is not caulked because it has not been trimmed yet. What I would like to do is to take out the flat foam pieces and use a minimally expanding foam to fill in the gaps. I have to use some minimally expanding foam on 2 doors that were installed as well, as nothing was put in the gaps around the doors. My question is: Is this a good idea?. Thanks in advance for any advice or insight.

Windows on Washington

Re: Window Installation Insulation

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

You should not disturb the installation as a result of this.

If you want to, go for it. You can just seal up that gap with sealant as well, but I too, prefer foam.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

yes to low expansion foam. read and follow directions.

randy

#4 Post by randy »

Absolutely, you should foam the perimeter that you can access. It's far superior to the method your installers used.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

And after you fill them with minimal expanding foam, I'd throw the idiots off the job if it were me. Rigid foam, OMG how incompetent can someone be?

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

Would love to see pics of the rigid foam installed around window. I would make sure they set all the windows right before you foam them in.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

i cant imagine anyone using rigid foam. are you sure it wasnt backer rod ?