Recommendations for vinyl replacement for Charleston SC

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Fishy guy

Re: Recommendations for vinyl replacement for Charleston SC

#16 Post by Fishy guy »

Bill wrote:The 5500 is available with an integral nail fin for new construction applications; Simonton does not do a very good job of marketing the 5500 for new construction.

The 5500 is built much better than the Pro-Finish contractor. In the Pro-Finish line the ProFinish Brickmold is the best of the lot, still not as good as the 5500.
Is the ProFinish contractor sort of equivalent to the 5050 series? I'm not sure I can afford the 5500 if I'm already choking on the price for the pro-Finish contractor series.

Bill

#17 Post by Bill »

The ProFinish Contractor and the 5050 share the same sash so they are similar. The 5050 has the heavy duty ¾” stainless steel constant force balance, its the same as what is used in 5500 where the ProFinish has the ½” version.

Fishy guy

#18 Post by Fishy guy »

Thanks Bill,
I'll try to find time tomorrow to call the rep at ABC and find out why he's quoting me the contractor series and not the 5050 or 5500. (Probably price)

Bill

#19 Post by Bill »

The 5050 is not available with a integral fin, the 5500 is the only window in the Reflections line that is has the integral fin option.

You can use the snap on fin for the 5050 but I would rather have the ProFinish Contractor with the integral fin.

Fishy guy

#20 Post by Fishy guy »

I just read this email from the rep:

The 5050 and the 5500 series are both replacement windows, so their prices will be a little higher. They also do not have nailing fins.

So he doesn't think the 5500 has a fin option I guess.

Bill

#21 Post by Bill »

The rep is just not aware that the 5500 is available with the integral fin; the 5500 is marketed as a replacement window but when I have some one that wants a higher quality new construction window I sell them the 5500 with the fin.

The 5050 does not have a integral fin option but the UV11 snap in fin can be applied to the exterior accessory grove. I don't like the snap in fin and would rather use the ProFinish Contractor in this case.

You can e-mail the rep the image below that shows that the integral fin can be selected for the 5500 in Simonton order entry system.

Click on the image to enlarge

Fishy guy

#22 Post by Fishy guy »

Thanks Bill. I emailed him and I'm still waiting for the Plygem quote from the other guy.

Fishy guy

#23 Post by Fishy guy »

I've learned that one of my problems was that I was not getting stock sizes. I've sorted thru the Simonton list of stock sizes and except for one double unit I can go with stock sizes and not lose more than a half inch on any given window. I'm waiting for the rep to get back to me with those quotes.

Meantime, it seems all the simonton windows you guys like are in the replacement window series. The 5500 can be had with add-on fins but it jumps the price up. If, because of price, I have to go with the contractor series, am I better off with something like Jeld-wen or Atrium which might even be cheaper from the big box stores?

Thanks,
Fishy