Replace Insulated Glass Units

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
purplenova

Replace Insulated Glass Units

#1 Post by purplenova »

Some History:

had two company's come out give me estiamtes on replaceing just the insulated glass in my double hung windows. (2 need repaired) each window has a broken pane of glass in them.

Decided on the company, ordered the replacement glass and the company came out last week to do the work. While attempting to remove the vinyl pieces from the window, the tech broke the remaining pane of glass.

He duct taped it back in place, replaced the window back in the frame and told us we needed a whole new window. They are claiming our windows are not the type that can be repaired (just replacing the insulated glass units) and we need to buy a whole new window.

Spoke to the owner last week when he came out, due to my nasty phone call back to the company. He wants to remove the window and take it back to the office to see if another technician can correct the prior techs mistake. and, while the window is out, he wants to put up a piece of plywood to cover the whole.

My question: are there windows (double hung, dual pane, titl in windows) that cannot be repaired by just replacing the glass units/packs or what ever they call them. Or am I being taken to the cleaners, so to speak ????

They are to come back SOMETIME today (7/23/12) to remove the window section and put up the plywood.

My location is NEAR Cincinnati Ohio

Windows on Washington

Re: Replace Insulated Glass Units

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Nearly every vinyl window with a sealed IGU that I can think off, is serviceable.

The exception would be a sash-lite window and it does not have a glazing bead in that case and uses the frame of the sash as the spacer.

purplenova

#3 Post by purplenova »

Is there a way that an untrained eye, such as mine, can tell if the windows are serviceable or not. May be too late to be asking, but have no clue about these things.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Take a picture of the window (interior and exterior) from relatively close up to the sash and you will get some good answers from the board folks.

purplenova

#5 Post by purplenova »

Windows on Washington wrote:Take a picture of the window (interior and exterior) from relatively close up to the sash and you will get some good answers from the board folks.

will try and do that today and post tomorrow. Thank You !!!