Okna 500 vs Vytex Fortis (Northern VA)

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ecoastpro

Okna 500 vs Vytex Fortis (Northern VA)

#1 Post by ecoastpro »

We are looking at replacing a mix of picture windows, transoms, casement, double hung & sliding glass doors in our home...48 total windows. As of now, it seems the Okna 500 Deluxe & Vytex are the best windows. We have not looked at Soft Lite, but we can. The OKNA seems to win on the air infiltration test (.02 vs. .05), but OKNA seems to miss on the the sash reinforcement (None vs Vytex therma core) & the frame insulation (OKNA: Optional foam, which looks like an insert as opposed to sprayed in VS. Vytex: Vycore foam, which I believe is sprayed in to cover corner to corner).

Please let me know which window you prefer and why.

Tks in advance.

HomeSealed

Re: Okna 500 vs Vytex Fortis (Northern VA)

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

ecoastpro, don't get hung up on the individual features(foam, reinforecement, etc), but rather the actual perfomance ratings as they are truly the sum of those parts. It would be like a car with a a turbocharger, forged engine components, etc, that only puts out 100 hp and does 0-60 in 12 seconds (please forgive my "car-guy" analogy)... A window such as the Okna 500 achieves a DP 50 an AI of .02 with no reinforcement: THAT IS NOT A DRAWBACK! That means that you are looking at a product with such outstanding engineering that it does not need reinforcement to meet that high level of performance. If you want to compare to see which product is really superior, look at the Vytex and see what those numbers are without reinforcement. DP 30 or 35? On the foam, there are several problems inherent with the "sprayed-in" method, primarily incomplete filling. Again, I'd say each has pros and cons, but ultimately, all that really matters is the ratings. They are far and away your best method for determining how the product will ACTUALLY perform for you, and are very indicative of design and build quality as well.
All that being said, the Fortis is a fine choice, while the Okna 500 is a great choice.
If you have not already spoken to him, I'd highly recommend that you contact Windows on Washington. You simply will not find a more knowledgeable or ethical guy to do business with in your area. :D

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

If it ultimately comes down to the ratings, the Vytex is doing the 1/4 in 12 seconds.
Sash reinforcement is good, Sprayed in foam is not that big of a deal at all.The difference between an .05 and .03 AI# is virtually undetectable. I would get more bids with that many windows I would check out the Soft-Lites as well. What was the difference in price? Was it the HP or Fortis model?I not that familiar with either of these products but Vytex has very good performance numbers and standard features that are not found on 100 hp cars.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Just to clarify:
1. The Fortis is indeed a fine window as I remarked above. My analogy was not meant to paint it as the 100hp car, but to illustrate that individual features are often meaningless, and the ends (the ratings) needs to justify the means (features).
2. Sash reinforcement is not a bad thing, nor is it necessary in most applications, especially when the the product in question is very well designed and hits great ratings without it. I would however recommend it on very wide double hungs (40"+), or for homeowners in hot climates like the Southwest.
3. If the Vytex is a 12 sec car, the 500 is a 10.5. :wink:

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

Are you saying the HP/Fortis has a bad design that relies on sash reinforcement for it's ratings to remain high? I would not call the features meaningless, but perhaps nice to have and to come standard.The paper champ would be the Fortis/HP with it's standard features and performance ratings.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Todd never met and argument he didn't like. :lol:

ecoastpro

#7 Post by ecoastpro »

HomeSealed / Todd...

Thank you for your thoughtful responses.

WoW, I would appreciate your feedback.

Tks to all!

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

If your ” paper champ” is in reference to nifty sales features and gimmicks, then I guess that the vyte is better ... Along with the excalibur and mi 1650, lol. Features do not tell you how the product will actually perform, ratings do, and the okna is superior in every thermal and structural rating. End of story. You could make a window from space shuttle grade components, but if it does not perform, who cares?

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

ecoastpro wrote:HomeSealed / Todd...

Thank you for your thoughtful responses.

WoW, I would appreciate your feedback.

Tks to all!
ecosatpro,

I will repsectfully recuse myself from this discussion as my responses, despite however careful they may be, could be construed as self serving.

If you wish to contact me via this site, you are more than welcome to do so and I would be happy to discuss with you at any time.

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

I just noticed the Fortis has its glazing bead on the inside. I really don't care for the look and would dislike it even more if the lift rail is part of the glazing bead.I am throwing my vote for the Okna because of aesthetic reasons.

ecoastpro

#11 Post by ecoastpro »

Double pane or Triple pane?

We have a lot of windows (25 panes) on the back of our house, which is SOUTH facing. Our current windows are from 1988, builder grade, metal spacers. We do not have any tree covers, so it gets pretty hot. It looks to be about a 1500 upgrade.

Do you recommend going with triple pane on the south side?

What is the benefit or downside?

Tks

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#12 Post by masterext »

ecoastpro
Vytex is very solid and make a very good window. The vytex and okna are very similar in quality, particularly the vytex potomac and fortis series. I do like how Vytex uses composite sash reinforcement for extra structural integrity. Vytex is also a very good looking window.
It seems as if a lot more Pro's in our industry are embracing vytex as one of the top windows.
Although its a decent sized company and they have been around for over 30 years, vytex is only available in about 7 states which means vytex isnt as well known as some of the other brands. That said, they are now expanding into more states due to demand for their product. I think its a good idea for them to do that. They also have good quality control and a strong warranty.