vinyl new construction

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jlchapman

vinyl new construction

#1 Post by jlchapman »

Hello,

We are currently in the middle of gutting and remodeling an old farm house. We recently purchased some crestline windows from Menards, and have come to realize that they are poor quality and plan on returning them. I just have a very simple question.....what is the best vinyl new construction window for the do it yourself type people. We have a quote for some Allegiant windows...thoughts on those.....Thermastar by Pella????

HELP!

Thanks

randy

Re: vinyl new construction

#2 Post by randy »

For new construction, DIY, Simonton is one of the better options in vinyl. The premium brands commonly recommended here are not typically available for DIY.

What state are you in?

jlchapman

#3 Post by jlchapman »

Iowa

jlchapman

#4 Post by jlchapman »

I now see that Home depot sells Simonton windows, would it be okay to purchase them from there, or is there a difference in say grades of windows within the same brand?????

randy

#5 Post by randy »

I don't know if Home Depot will sell Simonton to a DIY, but they might. You can check. Look for the 5500 series, if you can get it.

In Iowa, you might be able to find a Soft-lite distributor that will sell to you.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Simonton will be your best bet that you should 100% be able to get.

Try to look around as Randy said for something in the Soft-Lite family.

jlchapman

#7 Post by jlchapman »

Thanks so much :D

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

The top vinyl lines do have some limited distribution channels depending on location (I don't know about Iowa). Along with Softlite that randy mentioned, you could search out HiMark, Sunrise, and Gorell as well. The Simonton is indeed the best thing you'll find from a box store, although Lowes sells the PlyGem Premium in some markets which I'd place on the same level.