Installing new windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
evemorton

Installing new windows

#1 Post by evemorton »

Hello. I would like to replace my old windows with new vinyl ones. Home Depot will be arriving Saturday to complete a free estimate. I have only 3 windows that I'd like replaced. But if the cost is too high I will hopefully just replace the living room window. I do not have a ton of money to spend and so I'd like to see if anyone can quote a range of cost that 3 windows may cost. (I've been reading that it could cost $13,000 or more...that's ridiculous! I have less than a thousand.) I don't want to waste Home Depot's time if there's no way that I can afford even one window.

One window is a small, tiny kitchen window. The office window is an average sized window and the living room window is not a picture window but isn't small either. I know without measurements you can't really help me too much but if anyone is able to at least give me an estimated cost per window, it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: Installing new windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

You might be better served with a handyman looking at this project.

The cost of doing 3 windows is certainly more expensive than doing 13 window on a cost per window basis.

Many handymen and other similar contractor may not have minimums and may be able to help you with the project or you might find a window contractor that is a bit slower and therefore does not have any guidelines on minimums.

In either case, a $1,000 budget will not likely cover the 3 windows.

Please post any updates you get as they come up and we can help you noodle through the minutia.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Many companies will have an additional fee to charge for small projects due to all of the site setup, order processing, etc that takes the same amount of time whether 3 or 13 windows are being done.
Is your "picture" window just one unit, or multiple units within one opening (ie: a fixed piece of glass in the center, flanked by two operating units such as double hungs). If the latter, that would actually be three units in itself.
On pricing, its very hard to say without more detail, but I'd say that you are probably around a bare minimum of $1500-$2000, but that could legitimately go thousands higher depending on the actual configuration, option content, etc.

evemorton

#4 Post by evemorton »

I have been reading that Home Depot charges $100 per window for installation. Plus the windows at $100 each. So it should cost $600 if what I have been reading is accurate. They don't list whether there's a mininum or anything. I own a townhome and so there are only 3 windows in the entire home. It seems silly that they'd penalize me for not owning a home with 13 windows.

Thanks for your replies...guess I'll just have to wait to see what Home depot says. If they give me measurements then I do have a friend who might be able to install them. We'll see.

Eve

linwa1

#5 Post by linwa1 »

For your info, home depot gave me an estimate for 6 vantage point clear value 500 as follows: 72 x 36 window $639, 48 x 36 $585 and 22 x 34 with obscure glass $585. I had a total of 6 windows 4 with grids but it isn't noted in the estimate so I'm not sure it's included. Total cost would be $3930. They were my third highest bid. I was put off by the short term offer that would have discounted that price by an additional $550 if I decided by the next day. Usually I won't buy something the day after a sale expires. The lowest per window cost I received was in the $400 range.