Ideal UltraWeld - Need more information

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
fteotdgs

Ideal UltraWeld - Need more information

#1 Post by fteotdgs »

We've started our search for new windows and one of the companies we've spoken to recommended the Ideal UltraWeld DH window. I'm having a difficult time trying to find any information about this window. The only UltraWeld I can find is by Polaris. Is it the same window?

We've seen it in person and it looks nice. We like that it is a lower-profile window. Price-wise it comes in the lower middle of the pack but we are unsure why. UFactor is .30, SHGC is .27...I can't recall the AI number but I believe it was <= .02.

We looked at the "Energy Gold" version which has LowE, Argon, foam filled sash and Intercept Spacer.

Any information on this window would be appreciated. Specifically, how it compares to some of the more preferred windows and how or why its not priced as such. Also, what are the concerns with this window.

Thanks.

Windows on Washington

Re: Ideal UltraWeld - Need more information

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Two different windows.

I would be a little bit PO'ed if I were Polaris too if they trademarked that name.

http://www.idealwindow.com/UltraWeld_DH ... H_F_Anchor

Appears to be a solid product but there is nothing about air infiltration on the web so perhaps that information was provided by the sales person.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Ideal UltraWeld - Need more information

#3 Post by masterext »

the polaris is pretty solid and totally different than Ideal which is mid grade at best. dont get too caught up in cost, a few dollars more and you can get something
much better ( ufactor, air leakage) and better structurally.
a .30 Ufactor is high in my book, i like a .28 or lower.
ideal does not compare to the likes of okna, soft lite imperial, or sunrise. Ideal have somewhat of a flimsy design with thin outer walls . also intercept spacer is an old design with metal. ( tin plated steel). higher end brands use a non metal composite spacer.

fteotdgs

Re: Ideal UltraWeld (UltraTite) - Need more information

#4 Post by fteotdgs »

Thanks for the replies.

I think you may be right and Polaris might have that name trademarked (and got a little PO'd) as I found a yet to be posted news item from Ideal stating their UltraWeld will now be know as UltraTite:

http://www.idealwindow.com/NewsStory006.html

On the same site, I also saw that they are reporting the .02 AI number as accurate:

http://www.idealwindow.com/Air_Infiltration.html

I usually prefer going the extra buck on a better item for the long haul but after seeing the window with my untrained eye and comparing the specs, I really want to know why the Ideal window is at its price point. We'd like a window with "more glass" and we've seen the OKNA 500 and the Soft Lite LS and Bainbridge. Those are all very nice windows but the price of the Ideal is about $200 less per window installed and I am trying to understand why. Obviously I am missing something. Is there something about its structure that is suspect? Having the less than ideal spacer isn't a deal breaker for me. The installer we saw it at seems pretty good as they are family owned, have been in business for many years and they get great reviews on consumer sites. They also offer the Soft-Lites.

Having a BMW of windows would be great but when a perfectly acceptable Honda is available, going the extra buck might not make sense for us in this case. I am just a little unnerved that I cannot find any real world reports about this model. Everything I have read about Ideal is dated and only about models they no longer produce.