Ecosmart Windows vs Renewal by Anderson

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
marbrin

Ecosmart Windows vs Renewal by Anderson

#1 Post by marbrin »

Wow we are sooo confused. We were going to put in RBA but they are so expensive. We got a bid of the ecoSmart by Great Lakes but so concern about the vinyl vs the fibrex. Is there a big difference? How do you tell how good the quality of the vinyl is?

Windows on Washington

Re: Ecosmart Windows vs Renewal by Anderson

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Have you looked at other vinyl windows?

The RBA window is a nice unit but still vinyl by composition and comes with a lesser frame warranty than do the good vinyl windows.

Good vinyl windows are very well engineered and thought out. You will not have a product with a properly engineered vinyl window.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. The fibrex product is not bad, but it certainly does not justify a premium over a good vinyl window --as that is essentially what it is, just with some wood flour (saw dust) added in for a different look. Performance-wise, it is middle of the road, and the 10 yr warranty is about the worst you'll find.
That Great Lakes Ecosmart looks like it has some nice features, although I must admit that I'm not familiar with that offering by name (Ecosmart). I can't tell by the brochure if it is a new design or just a variation of their existing product (Uniframe, Grandview, Plygem Premium, etc)... I would get some additional info on the performance ratings (u value with double pane glass, air infiltration rating, etc).
A few of the top vinyl products to check out would be Softlite/Gorell, HiMark/Okna, and Sunrise.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

i also recommend looking into higher end vinyl options.
as far as the " EcoSmart" window is concerned, it seems to have some nice options but you need to ask a few important questions..
1) does it have a truely welded sloped sill? you do not want a snap in sloped sill or a pocket sill.
2) i notice it has a handle opposed to a lift rail which is a nice option. however, is it a plastic lift rail or a metallic handle.. you would want a metallic handle.
3) what is the air leakage rate?
4 ) is the sill wall mortised into the frame or does it just butt up against it?
5) what kind of Ufactor will you get on double oane glass?

marbrin

#5 Post by marbrin »

Thanks so much this has been very helpful

WindowGuy100

#6 Post by WindowGuy100 »

Good questions by masterext...

1. ecoSmart by Great Lakes Window has a true welded sloped sill, one piece, no weep holes.

2. The handles are die cast aluminum with a powder coat finish but are also available in satin chrome, oil rubbed, brass as well as white, tan, Pontiac gold and earthtone.

3. Air infiltration is as low as .03 CFM / ft depending on the style of window chosen.

4. The leg of the sill is welded creating an air and watertight seal.

5. U values on an operable double hung range from 0.15 for the ecoMaxKR glass package, yes that is on an operable double hung. A picture window is at 0.13. With just the standard Low E glass package the U value is 0.26 on a double hung, 0.25 on a picture window.

ecoSmart combines a structural composite "skeleton" with a proprietary exterior uiPVC skin to maximize energy efficiency with long term durability with minimal maintenance and no painting.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

windowguy
are those Ufactors on the double hung " center of glass" or whole window?
which spacer system are you utilizing?
what is the air leakage rate on the double hung?

WindowGuy100

#8 Post by WindowGuy100 »

All U Values noted on my last post are Full Unit U Values. The spacer is called I-Core and it is a structural non-metalic spacer. The air infiltration on the double hung is .16 however that was on a 54 1/2" x 80" test size.

masterext

#9 Post by masterext »

i am assuming the spacer is super spacer or duralite? which one?

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

WindowGuy100 wrote:All U Values noted on my last post are Full Unit U Values. The spacer is called I-Core and it is a structural non-metalic spacer. The air infiltration on the double hung is .16 however that was on a 54 1/2" x 80" test size.
Air infiltration rates are the average of the cumulative leakage over a given area.

As a result, a larger unit will typically net a "lower" average air leakage rate.

Size (i.e. larger size), therefore, will normally yield a lower average number.

Good numbers on the thermals and other data.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 . AI numbers are not on par with the elite window choices, but overall it sounds like a good window, certainly the best that Great lakes/Plygem has to offer.... Back to the original question: the added info presented would only confirm my original statement that the Ecosmart would be the superior choice between the two. Not a bad choice at the right price.

masterext

#12 Post by masterext »

i missed the air leakage part.. the air leakage is a bit high and as WOW alluded too, the larger the window tested for air leakage, the lower the results. i like to see a number under .07 on a double hung.
however, overall the window looks good.