Awning for use with a Sunrise Casement / Fixed Window combo?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
WiRik

Awning for use with a Sunrise Casement / Fixed Window combo?

#1 Post by WiRik »

Last fall we replaced our windows with Sunrise replacement windows, one being our window for the living room, which has a casement window on each side of the fixed center window, approx. 30"-60"-30".

On our original window, which had a wood frame, we had an awning, and we originally planned on not using an awning with the new windows, but now would like to.

We have found an aluminum awning for use with casement windows, but due to needing to be 124" wide, the awning manufacturer recommends 2 outer support arms, with 2 additional ones inward. which makes sense as living in Wisconsin, snow will accumulate on it in winter.

My questions is being that the Sunrise frame is a polyurethane material, and my understanding is any warranty for the window will be void if we were to alter it in any way, is there any way to safely install an awning for this window?

HomeSealed

Re: Awning for use with a Sunrise Casement / Fixed Window combo?

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Do you still have wood mullions between the windows? I assume not by the way your question is phrased, but I'm afraid that you may be out of luck if not. Not only would drilling into your windows void the warranty, but I doubt that the manufacturer would be very fond of weight bearing support bars pressing against them even if they are not affixed permanently.
I would explore other options with the awning company, perhaps they have alternative methods of supporting it.

WiRik

#3 Post by WiRik »

Thanks for the reply HomeSealed,

As far as if there wood mullions, no, the new windows have no wood between them.

Will need to do some more investigating with some awning companies to see what alternative choices may be available.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Pretty simple, the awning people should know how to do this and explain it to you.
If the unit has end wings they will go into the end jambs or the siding. The two inbound supports can be made by place vertical aluminum tube from the sill to the head then run the supports back to that.
That awning is going to have a lot of projection and be like a door hood because of the casements.