Soft-Lite Bainbridge vs. Ideal UltraTite (UltraWeld)

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
fteotdgs

Soft-Lite Bainbridge vs. Ideal UltraTite (UltraWeld)

#1 Post by fteotdgs »

We've found our installer and now we're torn between two windows, the Soft-Lite Bainbridge (3/4" LowE) and the Ideal UltraTite, formerly the UltraWeld (Energy Gold pkg with 7/8" LowE glass). There is a minimal price difference between the two, the SL is $30 more per window. On paper, they look fairly equal except for .05 difference in AI which isn't a big deal for us:

Bainbridge: UF: .29, SHGC: .29, VT: .54, CR: 56, AI: .07, DP45
UltraTite: UF: .30, SHGC: .27, AI: .02, DP45

Both windows have: warm edge Intercept spacer, foam inserts, steel balancer and similar limited lifetime warranties.

The Bainbridge has metal reinforcement and, as far as I can tell, the UltraTite does not.

Is there anything we should be aware of with either of these windows or their manufacturers?
Is one of these windows better than the other?

Any feedback is appreciated before we end up just picking the prettiest one. :)

Thanks.

edited to add: We'll be getting doublehungs, pictures and casements.

Windows on Washington

Re: Soft-Lite Bainbridge vs. Ideal UltraTite (UltraWeld)

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What is the VT on the UltraTite?

The Bainbridge is a solid window and well proven.

Haven't see the UltraTite in person so I will refrain from comment. Numbers look good though.

The Bainbridge is very narrow on its profile so that may be where it has some advantage.

fteotdgs

#3 Post by fteotdgs »

I was able to compare these two side by side today.

The UltraTite was slightly better aesthetically. I liked the exterior trim and the extra molding detail on the interior. The VT was listed at .45. It had a low profile and from a slight distance, it looked very nice. What I didn't like about it was the exposed inside that just didn't look as finished. (Not sure if I explained that well but looking at the interior side, the top sides were too exposed...maybe the balancers were partailly covered?) I also didn't like that the vinyl used seemed inferior. It appeared glossier and thinner. That's just my untrained eye looking at it.

The Bainbridge seemed more solid. The vinyl seemed thicker and better quality. The exterior trim was nice. The interior trim was a little more on the plain side. I liked that the window looked a little more "finished" than the UltraTite. Again, my untrained opinion.

The Bainbridge was quoted slightly higher in price for us, about $30 a window. For us, we liked it better.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

I think you answered your own question right there.

The Bainbridge does have a higher VT at 0.55 without grids as well.