Pricing between flat and sculptured grids

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
cflyer

Pricing between flat and sculptured grids

#1 Post by cflyer »

First of all thanks a lot for having these forums. I was ready to get Pella windows and doing a google search on Pella led me to these forums. I ended up choosing Simonton Daylight 7300 windows.

I had a question on pricing. I have two slider windows, 97 x 61 XOX and 70 x 34 XO colonial grid windows. I originally went with the flat grid and then came across the sculptured grids. The dealer said that its $150 to upgrade each window, so a total of $300.

My question is, is that price accurate? I was thinking it would cost more to upgrade the larger window versus the smaller one because more materials are being used. I unfortunately did not get an itemized quote (a big mistake by me) so I do not know how much the window itself is.

Thanks everyone.

Windows on Washington

Re: Pricing between flat and sculptured grids

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The difference in grid prices was $150?

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

An upcharge of $150 per window from flat to contoured grids is a gross overcharge... Is there some type of misunderstanding perhaps? It would be closer if you are talking about simulated divided lites (sdl) where the grid is on both surfaces of the glass.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Waiting on clarification from the OP but $150 per unit is way, way over the top.

Maybe the added a "0" (zero) accidentally.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

i can see 15 per window from flat to contoured but certainly not 150 ..
150 is a normal price for contoured SDL ( simulated divided lite); that may be what was priced.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Sometimes with low volume orders and a change order you will pay a premium.
Do Che k and ask for some understanding about the cost.
The window nerd

cflyer

#7 Post by cflyer »

Hi all. Thanks for the replies. It is $150.00 per window so a total of $300.00 to change the grids from flat to sculptured. He said the grids are inside the window.

Also what was suspicious was I originally had grids in the whole XOX window, but then changed it to grids in only the X's. The price of the window stayed the same. He said that the price is the same no matter where you put the grids.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

The pricing as far as it pertains to which panels get the grids might be right. Some people charge the same if you only put grids in the top half of a double hung.

As far as the $150 upgrade to contoured....he is out of his mind and that is completely out of bounds.

The difference in flat and contoured grids is sometimes $0 or at the most $15-30 per window...not $150.

cflyer

#9 Post by cflyer »

Yeah I did ask him about the pricing. I mentioned I spoke to a dealer in the east coast and he said the window pricing is different from east and west coast and each dealer has its own different pricing with Simonton. I already bought the windows through them so I dont know what else can be done.

Thanks again for your help! I appreciate it.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

cflyer wrote:he said the window pricing is different from east and west coast and each dealer has its own different pricing with Simonton.
:lol:
While those are true statements, there is no way that they justify that upcharge.
If you have already purchased the windows and you were happy with the overall price, I don't know if I'd push the issue. It is unlikely that he is going to refund you money at this point. Just know that he was being dishonest regarding this issue, and take that into consideration on any future projects or recommendations

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

The pricing does not change from coast to coast as Simonton's List price book is the same regardless of what side of the Rockies you are on.

He if fibbing. Sorry.