Sunrise Fibercore Reinforcement - Worth the extra cost?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
cksiam

Sunrise Fibercore Reinforcement - Worth the extra cost?

#1 Post by cksiam »

I'm dealing with trying to decide between the Sunrise Restoration window and a regular Sunrise, each from a different dealer here in Colorado. From what I can tell, the regular Sunrise is just like the Restoration window except it doesn't have the fibercore reinforcement. It includes glass breakage in the warranty and the latches are a little different (like the Sunrise Vanguard line). But the regular Sunrise dealer is charging $75-100 less per window than the Restorations dealer. I've confirmed that the installation method would be the same from each dealer (all windows would be complete tear outs except for two windows, which will be inserts).

We have double hung windows (two that are 32 inch wide, two that are 36 inch wide, and one that is 40 inches wide), the rest would be sliders about 65 inches wide. All would be triple pane. I've used the Restorations dealer for our upstairs already a few years ago, but is it worth paying $75-100 more per window for the fibercore reinforcement.

(Side Note: this site was a great resource for me a few years ago during my first round of window installation. So thanks for all the people who provide feedback)

Windows on Washington

Re: Sunrise Fibercore Reinforcement - Worth the extra cost?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Glad we could help out previously.

I think you might want to stay with the contractor you had previously if you liked their work.

Tell them that you want to use them again and that you have another quote that is just a few bucks cheaper and see if they can help you out a bit. Most contractors will want to help.

As a general rule though, you should put a value add premium on trusting the contractor and having seen his work previously.

cksiam

#3 Post by cksiam »

Thanks, WoW. We certainly do put a premium on going with the same contractor and installer who we like, but since we have to do our install in two (perhaps three) phases, we want to make sure our original contractor is staying price competitive at this next phase. His price per window is only slightly higher than when he did the upstairs window due to manufacturer cost increases he says. But at $75-85 per window more than the regular Sunrise (almost $900 more total), that's giving my wife and I pause.

Hopefully our original installer can close the gap a little bit to make it easier for us to decide. Obviously there is a price tipping point where it may make sense to go with the cheaper installer.

I'd rather stick with the same contractor and keep the same (and I thinker cleaner) sash look of the Restorations, but with the regular Sunrise we could put the cost savings into nicer wood trim and sills or add argon to the triple panes (currently the quotes don't include argon). Should I put any premium into the Restorations fibercore at all?

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

The importance of sash reinforcement varies by manufacturer, line, and window size, but I would never say that it is irrelevant. In fact, in your case I'd highly recommend it. Sunrise offers just about the most narrow sash profile that you'll find, so while that gives you more glass area, it is always nice to have that extra strength, particularly in windows of your size. The 32" double hung is iffy, but i'd recommend it on the 36", and at 40"+, I don't know that I'd feel confident selling it. Obviously any future problems would be covered under warranty and the manufacturer is not in business to sell windows that will fail, but I'd recommend the Restorations for your project regardless of the cost increase. If your windows were all 24-28" wide, it might be a different story... If you take a look at the difference in the design pressure rating between the two, that will give you a good indication of how much difference there is between them in terms of added strength.

cksiam

#5 Post by cksiam »

Homesealed I've noticed you have a strong preference for the reinforced sash in the Sunrise. I'm leaning towards that too especially since other experts on this forum seem to suggest 34" wide sashes push the window into "reinforcement" territory. And since I'm not going to split my downstairs between two different Sunrise dealers, I'll probably stick with the Restorations. Two more questions:

1) Is fibercore necessary on slider windows?
2) Where can you find DP info for the windows?

Thanks again.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Reinforcement is less critical on the 2-Lites than on the larger Double Hungs because of the weight distribution.

Ask the manufacturer or sales organization for the structural test reports. They are usually done by a 3rd part certified lab.

cksiam

#7 Post by cksiam »

I don't believe the Sunrise dealer (or other dealers) near me can upgrade any of the windows to include the Fibercore nor can the Restorations dealer offer any without it, I'm stuck choosing between having all the windows with Fibercore or none. Based on the feedback here, it sounds like it is worth biting the bullet to spend the extra money and stick with our Restorations dealer. Now let's see if I can get the wife to agree to fork over the extra cash.

Thanks for the input!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#8 Post by masterext »

i am a big fan of reinforcement in the sunrise window. i would definitely opt for reinforcement and foam without a doubt..you get structural integrity for a very nice looking window that way.

randy

#9 Post by randy »

masterext wrote:i am a big fan of reinforcement in the sunrise window. i would definitely opt for reinforcement and foam without a doubt..you get structural integrity for a very nice looking window that way.
I couldn't agree more!

cksiam

#10 Post by cksiam »

Thanks, all. Very helpful site, again.

cksiam

#11 Post by cksiam »

Well, the regular Sunrise dealer is insisting I'm wasting money on fibercore reinforcement that is unnecessary for my size window, especially given Sunrise's warranty. So for $75 more per window, I'd see no benefit other than having different latches, he says, and I won't have argon gas.

This is a crazy industry, isn't it. But in some ways, I've enjoyed :twisted: learning about all this. Much more to windows than I ever would have imagined.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

ck, it is a "dirty little secret" of the industry that the best windows are given to the best dealers (those that provide the appropriate sales volume, while maintaining the integrity of the brand through quality installation). The basic Sunrise product is available to nearly anyone in most markets, so the motives of that dealer could be questionable. I'd reiterate my original statement and that sentiment of the other pros, that reinforcement would be highly recommended for those sizes.

cksiam

#13 Post by cksiam »

Homesealed, it's interesting that you say that for several reasons. The Restorations window is the primary window our Restoration dealer sells and installs. I've also noticed that in the Restorations' warranty, it warrants the installation in addition to the window, that the Restorations window was installed to Sunrises standards (I don't see this on the other Sunrise warranties). Thanks again!