Please help! Need info on best vinyl windows for SW Tenn.

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
momo1

Please help! Need info on best vinyl windows for SW Tenn.

#1 Post by momo1 »

Need to replace 15 metal windows. Got estimates from 6 or 7 different co. Need 13 double hung low e /argon windows an 2 picture windows. Estimate from Champion was $8568 total,Window World was $5689 for 4000 series,Clear Choice $4777,another contractor bid $5200 for Simonton Reflections 5500 series but he doesn't install with non-expanding foam or foam insulation strips just caulks and seals, Ramco was $10,400 for Sunrise their mid-grade,$8500 for Sunrise Essentials their lower end,and $11,028 for Sunrise Vanguard. One other had Thermal Industries 545 series windows for $5582 total. We really like the quality and looks of the Vanguard but price is really high, we also liked the quality and looks of the Thermal Industries 545 but don't know much about this co. or window. WE Would Appreciate any feedback or any help with choosing the best window,we just bought this house in April it's our first house together and we would like to replace the windows before winter. THANKS!

TheWindowNerd

Re: Please help! Need info on best vinyl windows for SW Tenn.

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Of the units you have mentioned I like the Sunrise Vanquard or the Simonton 5500.
I am not saying they are equal.
Look for another Simonton installer. Look either through Simontons web site or contact a couple of there distributors for refferals.
the window nerd

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 on anthony's feedback.

That is a really cheap price on the Simonton's and makes me question his overall labor and ability to support the project/customer after the fact.

momo1

#4 Post by momo1 »

Anthony and Windows on Washington,thanks for the reply. The reason the price on the simonton reflections 5500 is low is the contractor is a personal friend of my brother's and has been for 30 years. My brother owns a garage door co.and recommended this contractor who has been in business for 25 years. We aren't worried about his work or standing behind the installation just don't know about only caulking and sealing. Everything we've read says windows should be installed with non-expanding foam or foam installation strips,we just want the best installation. Can you tell us the best way to install these windows? Also are you familiar with Thermal Industries DH545 windows? Which windows do you recommend? Thanks, we appreciate any advice you can give us.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

We have shared with you our opinions.
The lowest level I would use is the 5500, decent window, good warranty, good company.
Window & Door foam is the industry best practice at this time, it not only insulates but air seals and add water resitance.
To me the key to using W&D foam well is a pro gun, the straws on the DIY cans are a mess. You can get the pro guns for $30 -$100, I usually pay 50-60.
Based on the prices you got and the nature of the relationship I would go with the 5500 as long as they use the W&D foam, tell them you will add $100 to the contract for them to buy a pro gun and two 20-24oz cans of HIlti or OSI foam. Just a thought.
the window nerd

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. I am not personally a fan of the thermal industries offerings. Old design, pocket sill (or snap in sloped) and pretty average performance numbers. Not the worst window, but not the best either. The same could probably be said for the Simonton, although it does offer a true welded, sloped sill, and is a step up imo.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

The Simonton is a very good window, not the best but better than most. I'd do what Anthony said or offer to foam them yourself.It is very easy especially with a proper foam gun. I still know a few installers that do not foam yet.They are good installers just reluctant to change. At that price I'd still take the Simonton foam or not.

momo1

#8 Post by momo1 »

To everyone who responded, thanks for the excellent suggestions. We will probably go with the Simonton 5500. Do you think that is comparable to the Sunrise Essentials window which is about $2800.00 more? Thanks. Do you think that the foam filled window frame makes a really big difference as opposed to the frames that have no foam filling?

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

They are fairly close in performance. The performance gains of foam in the frame is very small and would be virtually undetectable in your heating or cooling bill.

Delaware Mike

#10 Post by Delaware Mike »

Simonton 5500 optioned correctly would rank over the Essentials in my opinion, even at the same price. I do recommend adding the balance covers and a spacer upgrade to the 5500. Both Simonton and Sunrise have excellent customer service and are stable manufacturers to deal with for any future concerns.

toddinmn

#11 Post by toddinmn »

Maybe add sash reinforcement to the Simonton as well, it is pretty cheap and so is upgrading to extruded screens. The nickel and oil rubbed bronze lift handles and locks can add a nice touch as well especially on woodgrains.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 to Todd's and Delaware Mike's comments/feedback.

No performance advantage to the Sunrise in this case and a sash reinforcement is a nice option. Foam in the frame does not make that much of a difference in the case of this window.

Solid window and a very solid price.

Check out some of his/her installs and I think you are good. :D

momo1

#13 Post by momo1 »

To each of you who gave us advice, thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge and expertise. We feel more confident about going with the simonton 5500 and will move forward with that! It's really nice to have some good advice when making this kind of decision. Many Thanks !