fully welded alternative to Certainteed Devon?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
egates

fully welded alternative to Certainteed Devon?

#1 Post by egates »

I had a contractor give me a quote on windows (28 double hung on long island) and what he came out of the gate with was Certainteed Devon windows. I read online that they were welded sashes but mechanically fastened frames. Is there a fully welded alternative that should generally be around the same price? I'm looking for a double pane, argon filled decent window. I plan on asking him about this tomorrow but was just curious

chrisexv6

#2 Post by chrisexv6 »

I never got a quote on Devons, but Certainteeds Bryn Mawr II is a fully welded window. I know they are considered a higher line than the Devons, but I never found out the exact price difference. Might be worth asking.

-Chris

egates

#3 Post by egates »

I spoke to the contractor and he said that he'd do Bryn Mawr for $50 per window additional over the Devon. However, he did say that its really not necessary and that the Devon is really a great window.

Eric

chrisexv6

#4 Post by chrisexv6 »

I didnt see the Devon, but I have seen a window that had welded sashes but mechanically fastened frames and I wasnt impressed. Im sure it would last for a little while, but Id question how well it would hold up over a long period of time (in regards to air infiltration, etc). Take a look at the fastened joints and the weatherproofing between the 2 pieces. On the window I saw it looked "cheap" and felt a little bit flimsy (the window I saw was a Mastic TruLok I believe).

Might also be up to your climate. We have cold enough winters here that I wanted to avoid as many infiltration issues as I could. If you dont get the cold, even during the winter, it might not be a huge issue.

-Chris

egates

#5 Post by egates »

I've had three additional contractors come in as well. I'm doing siding and roofing as well so I wanted one person to do it all. The Schuco rep - who reportedly is the only rep for long island - came in at about 600-650 per window for 26 windows (Corona 4000's) plus a Bow that will be about 2000-2500. However he did not have the siding style I wanted (they push their own brand). I have to check to see if anyone else offers schuco.

The next quote came in offering Alside Excaliber at about the same price as the Devon - about $400 per window.

Another quote really wasn't specific about the brand he uses - he choses from three but I have to call him and pin him down. He just mentioned LowEArgon fully welded in his quote that worked out about the same as the Devon and Excaliber.

These are all well established companies with long long histories in the area and they have done much work in the area so references and examples of their work are easy to come by.

Why do the contractors seems to be coming in with lower quality windows when they not even asked how I feel about pricing? My only guess is that these windows may not be as good as Schuco but they are good enough. I don't know.

Is it true that the triple panes in schuco are too heavy for the lifting/balancing system (whatever its called) that will eventually cause it to fail?

I'm really a bit stuck on what to do.