Vinyl with interior grids vs. Wood with a lot of cost

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
annkane0913

Vinyl with interior grids vs. Wood with a lot of cost

#1 Post by annkane0913 »

I recently bought a new home, built in 1928. The home has a lot of windows...54 to be exact. Almost none of the windows work very well, but they are beautiful wood with wood grills.

I have gotten quotes from Anderson, Marvin, Pella, Preservation, Champion and the price ranges from $30,000 Preservation/Champion for vinyl to $90,000 for Pella.

I want to preserve the look of the home, but not at $90,000.

My question, does the vinyl between the glass grids look ok in an older home or should I wait until I can afford the wood ones. If wood, which ones?? I am looking for quality and value. I am in the Omaha, NE area.

Thanks for your help!

randy

Re: Vinyl with interior grids vs. Wood with a lot of cost

#2 Post by randy »

In that climate, vinyl windows with simulated divided lites on the glass would be a good option. Sunrise offers them, and they might have a dealer near you. The cost is quite a bit higher than grids between the glass though. Perhaps you could do the windows in stages to get them all done the way you want.

As to the look of grids between the glass, I'd recommend driving around and checking out windows that have been replaced with grids between the glass to see if you really like the look. It's hard to tell when you're looking at a sample in your living room. For me, grids between the glass, while very practical, just doesn't look as nice as simulated divided lites.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

What is the condition of the windows from the standpoint of rot?

If you like the look of wood, you are going to be hard pressed to duplicate that organic look without have a real wood interior.

That being the case, prepare to spend a pretty penny on a quality wood window like Marvin, Kolbe & Kolbe, Loewen, etc. The Pella number is still way out of whack in this case. Can you tell us a bit more about that quote in terms of details and what they were actually going to replace/remove.

There are some really nice fiberglass windows out there with real wood interior as well.

I agree with Randy that SDLs look that much nicer (even if only on the inside) as compared to grids between the glass. Again, be prepared to pay for them because they are an expensive option and labor intensive.

Back to my first question about the rot. What are the operation issues with the windows? Are they temperamental and can they be serviced? Might be a shame to rip out some historic wood windows if they were well maintained and just need some tweaking to work properly.

You can add new high efficiency storm windows to the exterior of the home, keep the interior look, the wood, the grids, etc...and still get an air tight and efficient opening.

Couple that with the fact that it should be pennies on the dollar, you an put the additional funds towards additional weatherization and energy efficiency improvements (air sealing, insulation, etc). With it being a 1928 home, you are certainly going to need it.

annkane0913

#4 Post by annkane0913 »

I have tried a couple companies to fix the existing windows with no luck. First, the windows are all lead painted, second, they have rope and pulley's and some are missing, broken, etc. Most of the windows just are sealed shut and the wood is rooted. I was hoping to find someone that would sand them down, repaint them and then put on new storms. That person is impossible to find I guess, in Omaha.

Preservation windows has a SDL that is vinyl and on the interior and exterior of the window. Any feedback on how that would look? Again, vs. the high cost of Anderson, Marvin, Pella...

annkane0913

#5 Post by annkane0913 »

As far as the quotes: Renewal by Anderson, which is only between the glass and Fibrex was $90,000. Pella was around the same, but wood. It is replacing, not a full tear out of 54 windows.

Preservation was closer to $30,000.

In all the cases, they were to remove the existing window and inset the new window, fill the frame cavities, etc.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

There is a big difference between a full tear out and an insert installation.

Those are two completely different techniques.

While the Preservation number might be considerably lower (and that number is crazy low for an SDL equip window at that), I think there are far better vinyl choices out there.

Can't comment as to what the SDL looked like but I imagine your salesperson should have had a sample for you to look at.

From 10' away on the street side, you can't tell the difference so you need to decide if the SDLs are for you or for the people on the street.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You could talk to a certified preservationist, the will be able to handle the lead paint for ya.
In vinyl I would look at Softlite or Sunrise if available in your area.
In fiberglass I would look at InLine.
In wood I like the Andersen WoodWright.
The SDL is a great look, more cost, and lots of corners to clean.