Sunrise windows quote

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mik1234

Sunrise windows quote

#1 Post by mik1234 »

I received a quote of almost $16K for Sunrise windows with between the glass grids, full screens, white inside and out, low-e argon insulated vinyl windows. The price includes cost and installation.

1 fixed window 50 1/2 X 58 3/4 (tempered glass for 2nd floor bathroom)
1 DH 70 3/4 X 35
1 DH 61 1/2 X 35
1 DH 70 3/4 X 31
1 DH 35 X 23
A twin set of DH filling an opening 70 3/4 X 71
A twin set of DH filling an opening 61 1/2 X 71
A twin set of DH filling an opening 70 1/2 X 70 3/4
2 twin sets of DH filling openings of 61/ 1/2 X 70 3/4
1 fixed window with an arched top that the installer est. (2nd floor foyer) at 48 X 33

Is this a reasonable price for these windows?

randy

Re: Sunrise windows quote

#2 Post by randy »

Do you know what line of Sunrise windows you're being quoted on? They offer several different lines from the budget minded Essentials to the top end Restorations.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

What are the installation details?
Are they full tear/full frame with jamb extensions and casing or simple pocket inserts?

mik1234

#4 Post by mik1234 »

randy wrote:Do you know what line of Sunrise windows you're being quoted on? They offer several different lines from the budget minded Essentials to the top end Restorations.
The salesman showed us the Essentials line, which didn't look good, so we asked to see the Sunrise line that was comparable to the Pella 350 series. I don't know if there's a line btw Essentials and Restorations, and the Sunrise website isn't helpful in this.

mik1234

#5 Post by mik1234 »

anthony wrote:What are the installation details?
Are they full tear/full frame with jamb extensions and casing or simple pocket inserts?
These would be inserted into the existing openings with a small molding to fill the gap between the drywall and window frame on the inside, and some fabricated aluminum on the outside to fill the gap between the vinyl's J channel and the window frame.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

that is a sheetrock return install. sounds like they know what they are doing with regards to the installation.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sunrise makes a nice window. That being said, at roughly $1,000 per window, that is a bit on the steep side for that particular window in their lineup.

I can't account for what the cost of doing business is there or what is required, but basing it on historical averages, it sounds a bit steep.

randy

#8 Post by randy »

I agree with WoW. It sounds a bit on the high side. If you can find an Okna/Hi-Mark or Soft-lite dealer in your area, I'd get another quote on a quality product to compare.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

With the install clarified I would agree with the other pros that the pricing seems a little high.

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

I would agree with those agreeing

mik1234

#11 Post by mik1234 »

Thanks to all who offered advice. I had a quote today from Home Depot for the American Craftsman brand and the Simonton 6500 Series (same price for either one) at $12,400. These are also more than my budget will bear, so I may have to go with the Pella 350s from Lowe's, which said they could do the same windows for about $9K. The Pella windows look kind of cheap, at least on the display model they did a very poor job of fabricating the grids between the glass

Thanks again!

toddinmn

#12 Post by toddinmn »

It can be painful and frustrating, but you should take some more time, get some more bids. Box stores are typically higher priced and they use subs whom they probally don't even know.As you are getting smarter about windows it should become easier to weed out contratctors just from talking to them thus avoiding those timely home visits.You are almost there.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

toddinmn wrote:It can be painful and frustrating, but you should take some more time, get some more bids. Box stores are typically higher priced and they use subs whom they probally don't even know.As you are getting smarter about windows it should become easier to weed out contratctors just from talking to them thus avoiding those timely home visits.You are almost there.
I would agree with my contemporary who previously agreed with me...surely.

RIP Leslie...you are missed.

TheWindowNerd

#14 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I think the $12k is a fair price for a top performing window.
That said the unit you looked at is a good to above average unit but not a top performer.