Vinyl replacement or inserts for upstate ny

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
Pap

Vinyl replacement or inserts for upstate ny

#1 Post by Pap »

I live in upstate ny where winters are cold and windy. I've just purchased a house built in '83 with wood Anderson windows which have black mold stained wood. A local company recommended Anderson inserts and Home Depot recommended vinyl Simonton windows. I have Pella coming on Monday for a quote. There are so many companies and so many different windows. After reading the different posts it looks like I should look for a local contractor but with my last house the contractor who installed the windows went out of business. No one would come and fix the windows that wouldn't close. Any suggestions for windows and contractors?

HomeSealed

Re: Vinyl replacement or inserts for upstate ny

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

The vinyl brands that are universally held in high regard are Softlite-Gorell, HiMark/Okna, and Sunrise. There are other nice products as well, and your best method for comparison will be comparing the thermal and structural performance ratings. That would include U-value (lower is better), shgc (moderate for your climate, .25-.35 ideally), air infiltration (lower is better), and design pressure (higher is better).
Look for a solid, established local company that sells a premium product to be the most stable choice.

Pap

#3 Post by Pap »

I now have 4 quotes from 4 different companies each telling me they have the best price and best window. I'm trying to decide between Pace windows a local company who makes their own window and Pella.
Pace Platinum has a 3/4 inch double pane glass, fusion welded frame sun shield vinyl, U factor .26, titanium film, 5 degree positive sloped sill, 5 chamber frame, AAMA tested, NFRC certified, and energy star approved. They also have a non-conductive spacer which provides a barrier to heat transfer and an allerguard weather stripping system that resists mold and bacteria. Air leakage is 0.1. The price for 4 windows $2,940.

Pella 350 series also has 3/4 inch double pane glass, lowE argon annealed glass, U factor 1.8, welded frame,60 air infiltration, 18 chamber metal reinforced frame. The brochure wasn't as informative as the Pace brochure. Pella's price was $2664 for the 4 windows.

Pace also sells soft lite but the sales rep was more interested in the talking about the Pace window. The previous owner of my house did put a Pace window in my living room 4 or 5 years ago and it looks brand new still and seems to work well.

I liked both windows and the price difference is $276. Should I continue to look at other windows and contractors or do pick Pella or Pace? It is really confusing since both windows look good. It's very hard to know who to trust.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Keep shopping.

I am not familiar with the Pace window but the numbers are not terribly impressive.

The Pella window is huge leap for their vinyl design but the pocket sill is not my favorite.

Where in NY? If you are near Warpinger Falls, buddy110 serves that area and has the best products out there.

Pap

#5 Post by Pap »

I live close to Rochester. The Pace company also sells Soft lite windows. I plan on going to the showroom to look at that window too.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Softlite offers several lines, but I agree that they are a good choice. You should also have access to HiMark/Okna and Sunrise in your area.