What is the best deal?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mrj14

What is the best deal?

#1 Post by mrj14 »

I live in the Northeast and am looking to buy vinyl replacement windows. We have had a few different people come in and give us estimates for 15 double hung windows. They are all double pane with Argon gas. Here were the estimates:

Gorrel 5155: $6,500
Simonton Impressions: $9,700
Galaxy: $6,700

The Simonton Impressions didn't appear to be that much better to me to warrant the cost difference between the Simonton, but I am no expert.

If anyone can offer any insight to the general quality of any, or all of these windows, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

The Simonton Impressions is a much better quality window than the Gorell 5100. It's not really even fair to put them on the same plate when comparing price.
The Impressions is Simonton's very best window and is only sold to special dealers, while the Gorell 5100 is the absolute lowest in Gorell's line. If you are going to compare price, you need to at least compare it to the top of the line Gorell 5300, and make sure the glass package is the same to get a straight across comparison.
The Galaxy window I have never heard of so I can't comment.

mrj14

#3 Post by mrj14 »

What advantages does the Gorrel 5300 have over the 5100? Someone told me the only real difference was foam insulation inside the vinyl, and that was mostly just a marketing gimmick. Is the 5100 not a good window?

What sort of thing should I be looking for in the glass package, especially living in the Northeast with the cold winters?

Thanks.

What is the best deal

#4 Post by Guest »

mrj14 up here in the north east the window has to be .35 or less to meet the energy star guidelines. So a Simonton Impression with low-e/argon would meet or exceed the energy star guidelines.Simonton optional glass packages are Sensor glass,Super Sensor glass and Super Sensor Plus Glass. If i can help you with the cost of any simonton windows e-mail me @mjsroof@juno.com.

Bill

#5 Post by Bill »

The problem with answering this original question for comparison is that their are two windows in the Impressions Line. The Impressions 9400 which is a 50/50 with low-e/argon U.33 and extruded screen standard: I have never seen Gorell but WF/U has seen the 50/50 and based on this description may be able to tell you how it compaires to the Gorell drop window.

The Impressions 9800 is Simontons best and unique in design and features; it is in this window where the various sensor glass package upgrades apply.

Please clarify which Impressions window you have seen.

Bill
Uneeda Window of NJ

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Good point Bill. I usually think of only the 9800 when talking about the Impressions.

mrj14

#7 Post by mrj14 »

Thanks for all your replies. It is really appreciated. I have been trying
to do a lot of research on the Internet, and it seems to be very difficult
finding reviews for vinyl replacement windows, advice, or just plain old
unbiased information. I was quite excited to find this web site where a
novice like me can ask the experts questions and get their opinions.

Let me tell you a little bit about what I am looking for. I am just
looking for good, dependable windows at a decent price (as Mel Kiper would say, I’m looking for “Valueâ€