basement windows thermal chek

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
cno

basement windows thermal chek

#1 Post by cno »

An installer in So Jersey gave me a quote of $1425 for 4 hopper style basement windows made by a company called Thermal Chek Inc located in So Jersey. I like the installer but never heard of this manufacturer. The windows are supposed o be custom made . Does anyone know anything about these windows and does the price sound right?

Delaware Mike

Re: basement windows thermal chek

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

Pricing on basement hopper windows is typically more geared towards the labor as there are several different methods of installation which can all be correct. A normal sized hopper vinyl insert window doesn't tend to cost very much. Some installers will build a buck frame that gets capped and set the window into it. I tend not to do that on most masonry openings because of glass loss. One can batch up concrete/mortar and mud them in if you don't make a giant mess of things and create nice straight lines on the window with the mortar. With newer square block or poured foundations with clean jamb lines you can direct mount them to the block or mortar with tapcons and seal with low expansion spray foam and Quad or Silicone.

That manufacturer that your guy referred to is in Westville, NJ just north of Woodbury I believe. Sorry, I don't know anything about them other than they are very small. I carry a ton of basement hopper before and after photo projects in my laptop or iPad that have each of these these install methods so that I can clearly show the homeowner what I would recommend for their particular house regarding the best method.

Installing basement windows can be real easy or a real pain in the backside. Price doesn't seem out of line.

cno

#3 Post by cno »

Thanks for your reply, Mike.
I am a new home owner and am only beginning to learn about windows and don't know the technical terms for this installation method. The installation process described to me involves capping the existing woodwork around the windows and have the windows made to fit within the existing window space. The windows appear to be original with the house, built in 1920.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree eith everything Mike shared with you.