Soft-Lite vs Sunrise

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
copoyenko

Soft-Lite vs Sunrise

#1 Post by copoyenko »

Hi All - brand new here on this great and interesting forum!

I'm in the process of selecting windows and installers for my old home in northern NJ. What I've received (from 2 locally reputable firms) are as follows:

9 Double-Hung window inserts:

- 30X58 (QTY 4); Grille = 3 wide x 2 high on upper panel only with woodgrain interior finish
- 28X48 (QTY 2); Grille = 3 wide x 2 high on upper panel only with woodgrain interior finish
- 18X36 (QTY 3); Grille = 2 wide x 2 high on upper panel only with woodgrain interior finish

Installer 1 (lifetime on everything incl labor/install):
Soft-Lite Elements triple pane: $8,400
Soft-Lite Classic triple pane: $7,200

Installer 1 (lifetime on everything except 2 year on labor/install):
Sunrise Vanguard: $5,400
Sunrise basic: $5,050

Is SL Classic worth the nearly $2K premium over Vanguard with lifetime install/repairs? Is triple pane a must for the northeast? Thanks everyone :)

HomeSealed

Re: Soft-Lite vs Sunrise

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

copoyenko wrote: Is SL Classic worth the nearly $2K premium over Vanguard with lifetime install/repairs?
Not at all, in fact, the Vanguard is the better window. I like the Elements the best of those choices, but the Vanguard looks like the best deal of the bunch without a doubt. You may also want to check out HiMark, Okna, and Energex Affinity which are also available in your area...That said, the installation is a critical factor as well. There is a board pro named masterext (Paul) that services northern NJ and is a top notch guy. His dedication to quality products and install is second to none, and you'll see that from the first time you speak with him. You can find him here:viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5653

copoyenko

#3 Post by copoyenko »

Thanks HomeSealed. What are your thoughts btw on needing triple pane glass for northern NJ? is it generally worth the upcharge?

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Do you NEED it? No. Is it a good investment if the price is right and it fits within your budget? Absolutely. My advice is to purchase the most window that you can that fits within your budget. I like to use computers as an analogy: will last year's product suit you needs right now? Probably. That said, the "latest and greatest" performer will be relevant and able to meet an increasing future demand more readily... A second issue to look at is condensation. If you have a home full of people, pets, plants, etc (moisture producers), and you have significant condensation on your existing windows, triple pane will offer superior protection in that regard.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Triple pane vs double pane.
In my area it is a toss up in regards to the payback.
So it depends on the cost of the upgrade and your budget.
Do energy prices seem like they are going down?
Will you redo this in ten years?
Just some thoughts.
Yes you should contact Masterext.
the window nerd

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 to the previous replies.

I prefer triple pane and if you look at the change in total wall R-Value, you can see how much of a difference it makes. Again, it all comes down to what the cost of the upgrade is but from a theoretic standpoint, it is proper for your region in a majority of the applications.

I would also recommend masterext (aka Paul). Great guy, products, and installations. He is one of about 5 guys on this board that I would trust with my personal home.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5611