Question about warranty repairs on Okna replacements

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
brooklynfishy

Question about warranty repairs on Okna replacements

#1 Post by brooklynfishy »

I had my whole home refitted with Okna windows last year, the top of the line, gas filled, tinted, you name it. I was relatively pleased with the job at the time, although I found a few things I didn't like after the fact, nothing major.

The one thing I was not pleased with was the clarity of warranty repair and support for the windows. I was told I'd be given a copy of the warranty, and instead I got a receipt and a piece of paper that said Okna had manufactured the windows. Since then, in less than a year, I have two issues - one, a window that makes a ton of noise when opening or closing (like something needs to be greased), and a random broken window.

Today, my wife called me upstairs to show me a window that cracked from one side to the other, on the inside pane. She claims that she didn't apply much pressure, just a bit to clean off a stain that got on it. In examining the window, the glass looks extremely thin. Very flimsy, nothing like what I had on my previous windows (might be the technology, but it looks cheap to me).

So two questions here - how long does Okna warranty their windows, and who do you go through to get warranty service? I'm assuming the break won't be covered under warranty simply because it's impossible to prove it broke without impact (although clearly, it's a clean break from one end to the other, with no obvious impact point from an object somewhere along the way). The noisy window I'd expect to be fixed under warranty, since it's been less than a year since I put it in.

OK, so I lied, one last question - how does replacement glass work on these windows? It was gas filled, tinted, etc. - I'm assuming you can't just go to the local glass place and ask them to slap another piece in, since it wouldn't match the surrounding windows. Is there any way to obtain one from Okna? Is there some special procedure for repairing these, or am I SOL and this window will now look different from the rest because the glass broke?

Sorry for the long post, thanks for any help. Also, a side note - I might sound a bit negative on the company I bought them from, but I haven't judged them as they haven't had an opportunity to respond. I'm just trying to figure out what to expect and what's reasonable from an industry perspective.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Question about warranty repairs on Okna replacements

#2 Post by masterext »

1) your window does not need grease. its totally normal for the window to make that sound; its the balance system locking and unlocking.

2) glass breaking has nothing to do with the quality of the window. its something that can happen to glass. although i suspects yours was a stress crack.
Okna warranties their windows for life. in fact they will replace the whole sash not just the glass. why havent you contacted okna or your dealer?

i dont know how you can say the glass looks a bit flimsy, its double strength glass and thats the only glass okna uses.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

If the balance system is making a creaking noise when the window goes up and down, that just requires a replacement. Pretty simple and straightforward and only requires a phillips head screw driver and a pair of pliers to get out.

The reason that I know that one is because I have had it happen on one of two window. Usually the result of some debris that got into the balance or one that was made defectively from the start (Okna does not make the balance system).

The glass issue is not altogether uncommon as there can be stress cracks in glass and other material defects that will create a weak spot. Again, very simple to service and swap out and there are no tools required for this. Ask your replacement contractor to order you a sash that corresponds to the serial number in the head jamb for that window. Pops right in and out a solitary unit and does not require any re-glazing because the whole sash will be swapped out.

Warranty on the windows is for life of home and you are more than covered on that front and for both of these issues.

The glass used in the Okna window is a 1/8th inch (Double Strength) glass and is actually the thicker of the two standard option for replacement window. There is no way that there would have been some single strength glass in there because it is not even available as an option or stocked.

Let me know if you need an help with anything else and I can help coordinate your efforts.

Don't be discouraged. It is not uncommon for there to be a few defects and they usually come in threes and on one order. Thankfully, all the parts are easily replaced and serviceable.

Windows on Washington

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

i thought it was a cracking sound when tilting windows in. thats totally normal.
if it happens when going up and down, i agree with windows on washington that debris could be the issue. either way, a quick and easy fix.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Sometime the pivot rod on the end of the sash is not nested properly with the balance shoe. This can be easily fixed by your contractor. It could be a bad balace as previouly mentioned.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to the other posts. You got a great window and Okna's warranty service has been tremendous in my experience. Just call your installer and those issues should be taken care of quick and easy. :) ... I think Anthony probably has hit the nail on the head regarding the pivot pin not being fully nested in the balance shoe. Very common occurrence among windows with an open shoe design, as people tend to want to clean their windows when they are tilted at 90*, however that is precisely the angle at which the balance shoes opens for sash removal. Often times the pin pops out partially causing difficult operation and/or noise. Try opening your window to 90* and make sure that those pins ( where the window attaches to the frame) are fully engaged.

brooklynfishy

#7 Post by brooklynfishy »

Thanks guys - I've since had the dealer respond and they've made arrangements to get me another window (only downside is it'll take a few weeks, but I'm glad there's no charge).

They also sent along some instructions on how to repair the creak, which they said I can attempt myself or they'll be glad to do when they come out for the window. I'll get it a shot when I get the chance, I doubt it's much trouble. It's more than likely related to some debris getting in there, we had some work going on upstairs and I know dust went everywhere...

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

That sounds good. They will be getting you a new sash.

I would go ahead and attempt the balance repair so they can swap it out with the sash if you can't get it to quiet down.