Harvey Classic, Simonton 5500 & HiMark DX800 Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Ensnic09

Harvey Classic, Simonton 5500 & HiMark DX800 Windows

#1 Post by Ensnic09 »

Hello,

Can any Vinyl window expert help? I need to replace 21 windows... I have been in my house 3 weeks and the current wood windows are 25 years old and need to be replaced NOW. I have received 3 estimates from different window contractors and I am just looking for a little advice. Here is a brief breakdown on the window configuration

-10 are colonial type 60/40 Double-hung
-11 are standard 50/50 Double-hung

All windows will be replaced with colonial grids, GBG. White/White, replacement window, Not a rip-out. These prices include capping.

#1 Estimate
Harvey Products Classic window $550.00

#2 Estimate
HiMark DX400 $585.00
HiMark DX800 $635.00

#3 Estimate
Simonton 550 $500.00

I know the HiMark DX800 is the best window but it's 3k more. Are the other windows good? Will I know the difference and wished I spent the extra BORROWED 3k to get the better window?

Thanks

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Harvey Classic, Simonton 5500 & HiMark DX800 Windows

#2 Post by masterext »

the HiMark 800 is definitely the best of that group followed by the HiMark 400. when i say its the best of the group, its better structurally, thermally, and is very nice looking as well.
the simonton 5500 is better than the harvey though.
if you plan on staying in your home for a while 3k is not that much when considering.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

3k over 21 windows isn't that bad of a spread and the 800 is appreciably better.

That would be my vote of the 3. It looks at least like 10-12% more window that the other 3.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+2. The 800 is one of the finest windows made today. The 400 is a couple steps behind, however, it is still several steps ahead of either of the other options that you are considering... Don' take our word for it: a comparison of the independently tested, structural and thermal ratings will tell the "tale of the tape". :wink:

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

I think 3K is alot and do not like to borrow money . I do not think you would know the difference between the models performance wise. I would narrow down the choice and get more bids on the same model if possible.The price upcharge for the 400/800 is fair but I would save my money for other things.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

I think the comparative analysis for something like an 800 series extends beyond whether or not it would solely perform better. That is not in question and depending on your projected ownership of the home, I is very possible you can more than recover the differential expense in energy savings (via the better U-Factor and much more air tight window).

If you are going to compare the 800 to the Harvey Classic and Simonton 5500, there certainly is an aesthetic consideration. The 800 will net you a larger window (i.e. more visible light as compared to the 5500) and a much different aesthetic projection (i.e. metal handle vs. lift rail). If you like those items, they should have some sort of price/value attached to them.

If you want to try to negotiate with they vendor selling the 800 series (if that is your favorite choice), see if you can get that window with the upgraded hardware in those rooms where it would make sense (i.e. kitchen to match appliances, dining room, etc). Make sure the window is also a deluxe model with the rigid foam in the frame.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I am not familar with the Harvey windows.
Years ago I switched from the 5500 because I wanted better thermal and structural performance. I have not had an air infiltration complaint since I moved to Sunrise Vanguard, Soft-lite Imp LS, or the HiMark windows.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#8 Post by masterext »

remember,as windows and washington said, 3k for 21 windows isnt alot in the grand scheme of things. the HiMark 800 is just a much better window and it comes with a premium. i think when all is said and done, you will feel your money was very wisely invested.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

I have samples of both the Simonton 5500 and the HiMark 800 series in my showroom, and in a side to side comparison, the differences in quality are highly noticeable. The 5500 is a solid mid-range choice. The 800 is elite. When you are spending thousands of dollars, my advice is to buy the highest quality product that fits within your budget.

Ensnic09

#10 Post by Ensnic09 »

Thanks everyone for the valuable advice on the window selection. I did end up going with the HiMark windows. I selected the DX400 windows because they better fit our budget and due to some standard color options that are not standard on the DX800. The contractor we are using is

Wayne
Taylor & Young Windows
Holland, Pa

Thanks Wayne....

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

Good choice on the window and contractor. Great product and even better contractor.

masterext

#12 Post by masterext »

agree, you hit a home run with Wayne.

Delaware Mike

#13 Post by Delaware Mike »

You're in good hands. Wise choice.

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

I know I'm piling on here, but Wayne (anthony) is a tremendous choice, as is the HiMark/Okna line. You could not find a better guy to do business with. :D

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote:I know I'm piling on here, but Wayne (anthony) is a tremendous choice, as is the HiMark/Okna line. You could not find a better guy to do business with. :D
Here is HomeSealed's secret identity...