Why against Thermal Industries. Need to make a decision

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
vcoachband

Why against Thermal Industries. Need to make a decision

#1 Post by vcoachband »

I have heard people say that Soft Light windows are better than Thermal Industries, but I have not really heard a why. Saying one is better quality can be a bit subjective. Is it seal failure? Pocket seal? Slope Seal? Type of insulation? Type of weld? Number of warranty claims?

The TI model 525 Has a better U Factor and better Solar Heat Gain Coefficient than the Soft Light Imperial Pro

How can I find out the Air Leakage for each window.

WE also had Sun Rise give a bid, but they were DOUBLE the price of the Soft LIght. Is that worth it at all?

Please give details in your answer. We need to make a decision by Monday evening

Price ave. per window:
TI model 525= $432.90
Soft Light IMperial Pro = $399.15
Sunlight Restoration series = $799.35

all are all inclusive price of install, capping, lifetime warranty, glass break. Sunlight adds a screen warranty as well.

Any thoughts so we can make a decision.

toddinmn

Re: Why against Thermal Industries. Need to make a decision

#2 Post by toddinmn »

I don't know TI, but that is a good price on the Pro.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

What is a better SHGC in this case? That number, unlike U-Factor, is application specific.

In terms of U-Factor, lower is better regardless of the window.

As it concerns the comparative between the TI and the Soft-Lite, don't quote me on this, but I think the TI window is a pocket sill. This should be avoided whenever possible because of the less desirable design as compared to a welded sloped sill.

The comparison between the air leakage numbers will also help highlight the differences in the products too.

The Soft-Lite brand in general is well regarded because of their attention to detail and engineering forethought. They build a nice product and pay attention to those finer performance points that are often overlooked by most manufacturers.

As Todd said, that is a nice price on the Imperial Pro and it is a well proven performer.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

TI is a snap in sloped sill which is just as flawed as a pocket sill. you want a fully welded sloped sill.
the outer walls on the TI extrusion are also very thin. soft lite is much better designed as is sunrise .

vcoachband

#5 Post by vcoachband »

Does it sound like the Sunrise are overpriced?

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

The Soft-Lite Pro while being an older design is still a very nice window for that installed price. Non-metal Super Spacer and double-strength glass is standard as is meeting rail reinforcement and foam filling. So are locking screens. While I wouldn't put the Pro in the same category as the Imperial LS or Elements, it does operate and lock as nicely as about anything on the market. It's a real smooth operator.

I've never been impressed with Thermal Industries. Their products seem very generic to me. Most of the dealers for TI around here have been missing in action for a while now and have packed up and moved out of Dodge.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

The Sunrise is perhaps a little on high side and the Pro is a little on the low side. With the pricing you have on the Pro every decent window will probally seem high. The quality of the window wrap can be just as important as the window.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Window selection does have a subjective part to it. You are getting advice both subject and objective from a group of pros acroos the country that have no gain to be made by them.
Then on the other hand did you ever get the AL/AI numbers? Call each dealer and ask them for them. AL/AI is under structural testing, it is not the only thing but I use it as a large componet of my window evaluation.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

The Sunrise may be on the high side if it is pretty basic option content, but if it has a bunch of extras (woodgrain, exterior color, grids, triple pane, etc) it could be reasonable. That price on the Pro is very aggressive as mentioned above. Provided that it is a reputable company that will do a quality install, it would be hard to pass up.
Regarding the original question on the two products in question, masterext's assessment sounds right on point. I recommend avoiding a pocket sill design on dh's, and the structural ratings (AI , DP) are an often overlooked tool that can be very indicative of product quality and overall "tightness" of design and build.

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

DP ratings an AI numbers can also mislead you. The Soft-Lite Classic for exapmple, is better than many windows out there despite its 0.11 AI and DP35 ratings.

uncle eddie

#11 Post by uncle eddie »

toddinmn wrote:DP ratings an AI numbers can also mislead you. The Soft-Lite Classic for exapmple, is better than many windows out there despite its 0.11 AI and DP35 ratings.
That is crazy talk. Despite my issues with the way Softlite conducts business, they have some nice product choices, but the "Classic" should live up to its namesake and be retired. It is truly an inferior offering compared to the rest of their lineup. NOT RECOMMENDED.

toddinmn

#12 Post by toddinmn »

The Classic is very similar to the Pro and is pretty good at what it does. It is not bad window and has a viable palce in Soft-Lites offerings.

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd agree with Todd that the Classic is decent, but I don't think that the ratings are misleading. They are a little bit above average as vinyl windows go, which is exactly how I'd characterize that window. That is not a bad thing at all given that it is SL's entry level offering. One thing I will say is that in my experience, the Pro can be had for a minor cost premium, and I like it a bit better.

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

toddinmn wrote:The Classic is very similar to the Pro and is pretty good at what it does. It is not bad window and has a viable palce in Soft-Lites offerings.
I agree with you Todd.

Not sure why it is, but the section of your post in bold sounds like it was written by a genius...

:lol:

toddinmn

#15 Post by toddinmn »

The Pro runs about 15% more, which can be the tipping point for some people. I think the ratings are misleading since there are windows with same or better ratings than the Classic a which are not even close in quality.With sash reinforcement the AI goes to .07 the DP probally goes to 50 but I am not sure.
Some say genius others say a madman.