Why against Thermal Industries. Need to make a decision

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
HomeSealed

Re: Why against Thermal Industries. Need to make a decision

#16 Post by HomeSealed »

toddinmn wrote: I think the ratings are misleading since there are windows with same or better ratings than the Classic a which are not even close in quality.
I can agree with that to some extent. To me, the ratings do get a bit more muddled when you get into the low and mid-range product offerings. For instance, you will find wildly varying degrees of quality ranging from poor to good on a window that has a .30 u value and a .1X AI. The one thing I will say, is that when you get into the products that offer ratings in the upper echelon, you can't go wrong. Makes the process dummy-proof IMO.

Windows on Washington

#17 Post by Windows on Washington »

toddinmn wrote:Some say genius others say a madman.

Can't it be both?
:D

uncle eddie

#18 Post by uncle eddie »

Genius, madman- TomAto,, tomato, let's call the whole thing off. :lol: Even funnier is the charaterization of the Softlite Classic as a decent window. It is lipstick on a pig. If what you mean by "better at what it does" is taking a good name and applying it to a turd product, then yes, it certainly is better. The Elements and Imperial LS are great products and I'd accept no less from that line. Classic is to Softlite as Thermostar is to Pella.

Delaware Mike

#19 Post by Delaware Mike »

Uncle eddie, please share with us what it is about the Classic that you find unacceptable for a drop window. I've been doing the Soft-Lite lines since 2005 and can count on two hands how many times I've done a project with either a Classic, Bainbridge, or Barrington compared to the Imperial LS. The LS comprises 95% of my business with Soft-Lite and I only utilize the other lines for folks that are looking for sub $400 install. As a matter of fact it's been a few years since I've installed any of them other than the LS. I was never crazy about those series, but other than an isolated issue when Soft-Lite switched extrusion manufacturers, I've not had a problems with them

The Classic is basically a stripped down Pro which is above both the Barrington and Bainbridge in Soft-Lite's pecking order.

HomeSealed

#20 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd have to agree with Mike, it a stripped down version of the same exact window. When I have used that line in the past, the price of the Pro was a minimal upcharge over the Classic so it was a "no-brainer" for me, but the Classic is not bad by any stretch. The comparison to Thermostar is highly inaccurate and laughable.

uncle eddie

#21 Post by uncle eddie »

Drop window=fine. I don't like the drip cap head jamb (I've seen it separate), single strength glass, Intercept, and a barely passable u-value at .30. Fine as a drop window I guess, I just think that it is a product that doesn't belong with the rest of that lineup.

vcoachband

#22 Post by vcoachband »

Thanks, guys. We have decided to go with an option I did not list on my first comment, based on your input.

We are bypassing the pro (20 windows with six oversized @ $7983)by soft-light and going with the Imperial LS. We are going to do the super-spacer instead of the intercept??? spacer for a total of $8263. That's about $14 per window higher.

Most of you said you prefered it over the pro and my wife liked the way it looked abit better anyway.

Thanks!!

Windows on Washington

#23 Post by Windows on Washington »

Great choice.

Post up some pictures of the before and after.

We love to see feedback.

toddinmn

#24 Post by toddinmn »

A no-brainer at $14 per hole.

HomeSealed

#25 Post by HomeSealed »

+2. Excellent choice! The Pro is pretty good, but the LS is on another level.

TheWindowNerd

#26 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You will be very pleased with the LS.