Gorrell vs Polaris and is this a good price?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
paynter

Gorrell vs Polaris and is this a good price?

#1 Post by paynter »

I presently have 2 aluminum windows on either side of the living room fireplace that need to be replaced. They roughly measure 36x66.
I have gotten a quote on Gorrell 5100 double hung window, size 102-110, with internal grids, and the EcoMaster high performance glass package. I was told the glass also needed to be tempered since the windows are not that high off the floor(maybe a foot?). The total was $l,640. Quote for 2 Polaris Value Smart windows was $200 less or $1, 440. Is this a good price? Over $800 per window (for the Gorrell) sounds like a lot to me but I really don't know.

HomeSealed

Re: Gorrell vs Polaris and is this a good price?

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Those are both the lower line windows of each respective manufacturer . While they are both decent products, I like the Gorell 5300 and the Polaris Ultraweld better, and typically you can get those higher lines for the kind of price you are looking at. The thing that may be keeping the price high for your project, is the small quantity, in addition to the fact that you have existing aluminum windows. Depending upon the circumstances of your home, and the method of installation, that could weigh heavily on the price.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

I would look at the higher models from both manufacturers.

paynter

#4 Post by paynter »

He started with a price quote for the higher end Gorrell window and it was well over $2,000 for the two windows (I'm thinking $2300?). I said that I couldn't afford that and that's when he quoted for the Gorrell 5100 and the Polaris Value Smart. I think this guy is way too high.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

You need to keep shopping.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

I would doubt the windows would need to be tempered per code.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Your volume is low. Every job is important but small cost more.
The install is not an easy one.
I too do not think tempered would be required, check the >9sq ft spec.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

paynter wrote:He started with a price quote for the higher end Gorrell window and it was well over $2,000 for the two windows (I'm thinking $2300?). I said that I couldn't afford that and that's when he quoted for the Gorrell 5100 and the Polaris Value Smart. I think this guy is way too high.
The only way to find out for sure would be to get a few more quotes. :) ... You may or may not be surprised to find that many contractors won't even do small jobs (less than 4), and those that do need to charge a premium. There are many costs that are fixed for a given project such as site set-up and travel, administrative (processing, ordering, scheduling), shipping and receiving of materials, etc, etc. Those costs generally spread over an entire job, so when you have a very small quantity, it can drive up the price per window dramatically. Again, the best course of action IMO would be to get additional quotes to gauge that.

paynter

#9 Post by paynter »

I just got another quote for the Polaris windows. This man didn't recommend the Valu Smart ones and the quote was for two Polaris Ultra Weld replacement windows, double hung, contoured grids, with low E and Argon II, 1/2 screens, manufacturers life time warranty and 2 yrs on the labor. $716 total incl labor. He also looked up code after measuring the windows and I don't need tempered glass as the first guy out told me I did.
I got this man's name and number from the local supply company for Polaris Windows. They said he was a good installer and if they were going to have windows installed, they would use him. They also gave me another name and number but he hasn't been out to leave an estimate yet.
What do you guys think?

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I think you have found the right person.