replacement windows, philadelphia PA

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mike3626

replacement windows, philadelphia PA

#1 Post by mike3626 »

Hey guys, just want to start out by saying great forum with a ton of great info. I am currently looking for 13 replacement windows in a duplex house.

So far i have had one contractor out and got a quote for the Marvin integrity all ultrex fiberglass windows and Viwinco Cambridge vinyl replacement windows. Been doing a lot of reading on here and it sounds like there are much better vinyl windows out there (okna, himark, sunrise).

The contractor described these two options as a "good" vinyl window and if i really wanted to jump up to a high end window he recommended going to a fiberglass window for various reasons.

My first question is how do these two windows compare? And does anyone have any advice on the Marvin window. I know this is mostly vinyl windows so hoping that someone has some info on them.
Thanks, Mike

TheWindowNerd

Re: replacement windows, philadelphia PA

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Two different animals.
Usually my customers are happy with a top structural performer like the HiMark 800DX, the Soft-lite Imp LS, or the Sunrise Vanguard.
If some one wants fiberglass I like to look to the InLine Eternity window.
That covers the best product choices now you have to find the best installation.
Look for installers with ten years minimum experience with varied mfg training as well as national credentials, of course they need to be EPA/RRP certified.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

i would definitely dismiss the viwinco, not a quality window.. Himark is an excellent window..
if i am not mistaken, Anthony, who just responded to your post may serve you area..i would click on his contact button . He is a true professional, a gentleman, and just an overall great guy. i really think you would be happy by at least meeting with him. i know he carries some top brands.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Mike,
First and foremost, in Philly you would do yourself a serious disservice if you did not contact anthony. He offers the undisputed top-performing products in both materials. On top of that , his installation expertise is second to none.
On your questions, I have to "red flag" this dealer's comment that if you "... really wanted to jump up to a high end window he recommended going to a fiberglass window for various reasons." While there are certainly pros and cons to every material, the idea that fiberglass is flat-out superior to vinyl is absolutely incorrect, especially in the case of the product in question. I sell the Marvin Integrity product with great confidence as it is a fine option for my clients that have a specific list of priorities, however when it comes to both thermal and structural performance they fall far short of the premium vinyl choices that you mentioned above.
Reasons to choose fiberglass or composite in an average residential application:
-appearance is paramount
-homeowner's/condo assoc will not accept vinyl
-you need a stainable woodgrain interior.
In the majority of other circumstances, premium vinyl will offer the best "bang for the buck".

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

You have to call Anthony.

mike3626

#6 Post by mike3626 »

thanks to everyone for the replies!

I dont really have any restrictions (wood int or condo assoc) that would make me get a fiberglass window. Its actually new to me and wanted to get an idea of pros and cons as you guys provided here along with other research I've done.

I will be getting in touch with anthony. thanks for the ref.

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

When I have a question pertaining to a wood or fiberglass product, I call Anthony. He has a vast background in the window industry and knows more about the Marvin, Pella, and Eagle/Andersen products that anyone that I know of. Top notch guy and knows how to take care of his customers.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

Keep in mind you are on a vinyl window forum. On a rental I would not be looking at Marvin's because of cost. I would also be getting prices on some of the top brands lower tier windows and some of the other brands upper tier windows.

TiredWindowshopper

#9 Post by TiredWindowshopper »

I too am looking for advice on replacement vinyl windows and live in the Philly suburbs. There are so many window companies out there it is overwhelming. I was told To not go with Viminco because of the quality. Someone suggested Paradigm windows to me as well as Jed win and Anderson. I have about 30 windows to replace and I don't want to make a mistake. This is my 1st time on this forum so sorry if I jumped on your band wagon. I need advice too. Any thoughts as to which windows to buy. We plan to be here for a while.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

There are tons of vinyl window available.
I would reccomend as my top 3:
Softlite, HiMark, Sunrise, this is based on there energy performance.
In fiberglass I would look at InLine.
In clad wood certain series of Andersen, Pella, or Marvin.

TiredWindowshopper

#11 Post by TiredWindowshopper »

I had made the decision to buy Paradigm tapestry windows but decided to look more on the forums for more info. I am really afraid of making the wrong choice. Do you have an opinion on paradigm? Where does it rank with the one windows you suggested and why? I was goung to go with simonton windows but then some of the contractor i had cone out said it was below average. Any thoughts on that too.

I am looking for DH windows with the grills inside for low maintence and easy cleaning. I have one side of the house that get beamed with sun in the morning and early afternoon and in the front we get wide gusts. No one has said anything about the 3 you suggested. Id live more info as to why I should go with one of them. Thanks in advance for any info.

Delaware Mike

#12 Post by Delaware Mike »

The Paradigm product is a decent mid-grade vinyl offering. Not the nicest welds or anything elegant about it, but it doesn't feature a good spacer and 3-point weatherstripping contact of the sashes to the master frames. Good local dealer/supply house support for contractors and homeowners from the ownership. As a dealer direct, for my money I'd much rather have a Soft-Lite LS or OKNA Envirostar 800dx. Anthony carries both of those series, hint, hint.

randy

#13 Post by randy »

Delaware Mike is right, Anthony is your best bet in the Philadelphia are - great products, top notch installation and real good guy to boot. There's a "get a quote" button near his name that will get you in touch with him. I guarantee you won't find anyone better.

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 to randy and Delaware Mike's feedback on anthony. Look 3 responses up and call that guy.