Fiberglass or Vinyl Sliding door

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ubsphila

Fiberglass or Vinyl Sliding door

#1 Post by ubsphila »

So trying to choose a new sliding patio door 60x80. I need two of them. Marvin dealer says fiberglass is way to go (surprise surprise) and Soft-lite dealer says new Kings Royal is great. I live in the northeast with some cold winters and hot summers.

2-Marvin All Ultrex is $4600 with basic features and install.
2-Kings Royal is $6200 with basic features and install.

Any comments on how to choose and if prices are good?

Thanks in advance.

HomeSealed

Re: Fiberglass or Vinyl Sliding door

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Both products are very good and each have their pros and cons. The Kingsroyal is a new model and has a great design with stats to match. That said, the marvin quote sounds like a good deal, while the SL quote may be slightly on the high side for that size door.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

In fiberglass I like the INLine fiberglass door. It seals nicely and is attractive.
I have not seen the new Kings Royal yet.
It is surprising that the vinyl was more expensive than the fiberglass, not only more exspensive but ALOT more.
Are you sure the options are similar?

randy

#4 Post by randy »

I agree with the others, something seems out of whack on the Soft-lite pricing. I'd have the
contractor review his quote for accuracy.

ubsphila

#5 Post by ubsphila »

I did question the price originally when he sent the Kings Royal quote to me and he said that it was correct. He originally quoted me a price of $1900 per door installed for the soft-lite thermal glide but said I might wait and that the Kings Royal was going to be better for about $400 more. I don't like to question a guy's honesty and by asking again, it seems I would be.

However it seems either he's just flat wrong, trying to hang me out to dry, or is getting a crappy price from soft lite though he is an authorized dealer.

Maybe the Marvin All ultrex at $4600 is not so bad? Will vinyl hold up as well as the fiberglass? Worth paying more over the thermal glide?

Thanks again.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

ubsphila wrote:... He originally quoted me a price of $1900 per door installed for the soft-lite thermal glide but said I might wait and that the Kings Royal was going to be better for about $400 more.
Am I missing something here? So your original SL quote was $1900 ea on the Thermal Glide (reasonable price, btw). Then he said the Kingroyal would be $400 more, so that is $2300ea=$4600. That is a fair price... However, you list the KR at $6200 and the Marvin at $4600. Did you invert the two options on your post, or did he raise the price by $1600 ($800ea) out of the blue??? If that is the case, I would walk away from that dealer despite the fact that the KR is a very good door.
On the Marvin: Very nice product as well. I happen to like the Kingsroyal better due to its welded construction and vastly superior performance ratings.
On the ThermalWeld, it is now discontinued and out of production. It was replaced by the Kingsroyal and Montpelier (one step down from the KR).

ubsphila

#7 Post by ubsphila »

I kid you not. I revisted his email to make sure and even asked him when I first saw it that what was a total price for 2 Thermal Glide is now almost the price for just one Kings Royal! He said yes. I think I will contact another softlite dealer. I know everyone asks about price (fair or unfair) but what should I expect to pay for a complete tear out and install of a 60x80 door with basic features, no upgraded glass, grids etc. in a Kings Royal?

Thanks so much.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

In my part of town.
HiMark vinyl , std white, std install . $3350 for 2
InLine fiberglass, std white, std install. $5000 for 2

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

The original range of $1900-$2300 each is not out of line at all. You can find some a little less, some a little more.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 to the last two posts.

A premium vinyl slider (I tend to like the Sunrise, HiMark, and Okna sliding glass door a bit more than the Kings Royal) should be in that range of the $1,800 - $2,400 per unit.

Fiberglass will usually be about 1.5X the cost of the vinyl equivalent because of the material delta.

From a performance standpoint, I see no real advantage to the fiberglass over the vinyl but some folks do prefer the looks. That being said, you have to see the other doors that I listed first before you write them off. They are fantastic looking and far and away the best looking vinyl doors I have ever seen.

Vinyl doors used to lag behind in the looks department, however, these newer doors are real lookers.