What brand would you suggest for SAN DIEGO sliding windows?

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
Danimal67

What brand would you suggest for SAN DIEGO sliding windows?

#1 Post by Danimal67 »

Hi folks,

I live in San Diego, so the weather is not too extreme.
I'm researching the various local companies and I'm more confused than when I started.

I started on Jeld-Wen: they seem to get mold inside?
Anderson: seem over-priced and didn't carry sliding, only hung?
Millgard: many folks had bad experience with air leaks/warp.
"The Window Factory": make their own here in SD, but lots of customers unhappy in their postings.
Marvin: Who's Marvin?
Atrium: tons of bad reviews.
Simonton... not available out here?
Marvin & Pella... good JD Powers rating, but some folks like Jeld Wen better.. which takes me back to square one.

I just want a nice sliding window that doesn't leak or crack or break seals & lose gas. Double Pane, maybe glazed and with the hi-tech spacers that don't conduct cold. (TPS, Super spacer etc)

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Dan

Windows on Washington

Re: What brand would you suggest for SAN DIEGO sliding windows?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

You are looking at quite a range of windows there.

Have you narrowed the search down to a material choice (wood, vinyl, metal, fiberglass, etc.)?

Danimal67

#3 Post by Danimal67 »

Well, i actually re-posted this in the other forum as it seemed more appropriate. But to answer your question, i'm looking for vinyl replacement/retrofit over my single pane crappy aluminum windows.

I think I've narrowed it down to the Milgard Tuscany series, but I'm going to look at Simonton next week. So far the Milgard's have the smoothest rolling open/close, and i really like the latch, very easy to open.

Not crazy about their weld seem on the outside corners, but it's not a deal killer, and the price is reasonable for a pretty decent product from what i've read. With the SuncoatMax, and edgegardmax spacers they have a UF of 0.30 and their lifetime warranty.

Yeah i've read the horror stories of cashing in on that, and how the argon gas eventually leaks out.. but i have single pane aluminum now, couldnt be worse unless i had NO windows!

My quote for 5 windows is $1,550 from Dixieline. Any estimates on what a pro install job should cost for that? Window sizes are: two @ 70"x46", two @ 46"x46", and one @ 40"x45".

THanks,
Dan

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Milgard and Simonton are both very solid products. I think a bunch of people also recommend the Anlin product out on the west coast as well.

seajunkie

#5 Post by seajunkie »

Dan, We live in San Diego and we are looking for new windows as well. Our house has the aluminum windows from the 60's/70's

We had Renewal By Anderson here and the sales presentation was a huge turn off. They didn't leave much of a Quote or details on a per window price. They were promoting 5 year same as cash financing in a mailer yet there is a 15% mark up on "same as cash." The hard sell always makes me skeptical.

Did you make a decision? Any new experiences that you can share?

kalod

#6 Post by kalod »

We had the choice between Andersen and 2-3 companies but we used wooden Excellentus windows. Tilt & Turn is superior in about every way to double hung. They had more choices for color and sizes, hardware are also much better quality.

Skydawggy

#7 Post by Skydawggy »

I'd take a look at Amerimax.

Mt T

#8 Post by Mt T »

Hey Dan,
What did you go with? I'm in San Diego researching the question. Costco is offering Milgard windows, but I've talked with a sales rep. from Ply Gem.

dhunt

#9 Post by dhunt »

I am also exploring replacing my old aluminum sliders with vinyl here in SD - possibly as a DIY project. Any recommendations as to brand, etc. would be appreciated.

Dan