Okna 500

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jbrandwein

Okna 500

#1 Post by jbrandwein »

Hello,

I'm looking at the Okna 500 Deluxe package. Does anyone know how much space is between the glass on the double pane? I've read the larger the amount the space, the better (specifically for sound abatement). Can you customize the order to increase the space? Also, would anyone know how thick the actual glass is? Is the Okna glass thicker than others or are they all pretty much the same (and the frame is where you spend the money)? Besides lamination, can glass thickness be increased as an option?

I've called Okna and their sales desk didn't have the information.

Thanks for your help!

Windows on Washington

Re: Okna 500

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Air space of the double pane Okna glass package is 5/8ths of an inch.

There is no option to change the gap width because that would require a totally different sash, glazing bead, and spacer profile.

Glass thickness in this case is commonly referred to as double strength or 1/8th (3mm) of an inch per lite.

There is no option inside Okna to do offset glazing (different thickness of glass). Only a few manufacturers do that and most of them have that option because they already make a dedicated STC window (i.e. Milgard is the one that comes to mind for me).

The best option you can do with the Okna window (and it is also the most significant improvement of those options listed above) is to upgrade the glass to laminated glass. This helps considerably with the overall STC rating on the window but interrupting the vibrations through the glass.

We have several customers that live on busy streets and we have opted for laminated glass on those street facing windows and they were ecstatic with the results.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

the optimal air space for a double pane window with argon gas fill is between 1/2 and 3/4 inch. i believe Okna is 3/4.
Okna uses thick out walls in their frame design and also foam fills their extrusion which does add to noise reduction.
the notion that a wider air space renders better thermal efficiency is nonsense. if thats the case why does Simonton have a one inch air spacer and not very good thermal numbers. Okna has a .25 Ufactor on double pane whereas Simonton is a .30 . thats a huge difference and totally proves the wider air space theory wrong.
that said, it is possible to render a better ufactor by playing with the air spacer but the increase in thermal efficiency will prove to be temporary. the wider the space, the more of a chance that convection will occur. when convection does happen, your thermal performance will DECREASE over time; this is something you dont want.
as far as noise reduction, laminated is the best but i have to tell you, i have many customers that are amazed by how much sound is reduced by installing new double pane windows with extra strength glass. unless you live next to an airport, laminated glass could be somewhat of an unnecessary expense.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Laminated glass is very expensive.
WOW, what is the list for laminated at 100UI?

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

anthony wrote:Laminated glass is very expensive.
WOW, what is the list for laminated at 100UI?
anthony,

Laminated glass is based on square footage so inside that UI range you could have a pretty significant size (sq footage) swing.

Assuming that you are talking about a 3'0 x 5'0 window (15 ft2), list would be about $360 if I am not mistaken.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I just thought it would be helpful to the thread to get an idea of the cost for laminated glass option.
thx WOW

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

I agree.

The quoted price above is list. We normally charge about $16-18 per sq/ft so that option from us would be about $240-$270.

jbrandwein

#8 Post by jbrandwein »

masterext, you mention that I could very well see a big sound reduction improvement just from the new windows without adding the lamination. I suspect I might as well. You do mention new windows with "extra strength glass" however. Would that be the standard glass that comes with the Okna 500's deluxe package or are you referring to something else?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

All Okna's come with Double strength glass as a standard.

If you are at all concerned about noise, bite the bullet and get the laminated glass.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Almost all customers notice a reduction in noise when using an EP window.
But it is not quantifiable.
Laminated glass is measured/tested for noise reduction.
The first is subjective but real, the second is quantifiable and expensive.
You get to pick.

jbrandwein

#11 Post by jbrandwein »

Gentleman,

You have been very helpful, thanks again.

Anthony - You very eloquently explained my dilemma.
WOW - I think you got right to the point and helped me make my decision.

My contractor was very supportive and made my decision easier by offering me 4 standard size windows (35x53) with lamination at $125 additional cost per window. In your opinion, would you tell me if I'm paying a fair price for this project below?:

Supply and install:
19 Okna 500 Deluxe windows (one tempered glass in bathroom)
4 Okna 500 Deluxe laminated windows
3 Okna 500 Deluxe Picture windows
Includes Grids on all 26 windows
replacement of 2 rotted sills
removal and disposal of old windows
window capping with white PVC aluminum
$13,000 total ($12,500 without the 4 laminated windows)

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

That is a smokingly good deal on a great window.

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

Windows on Washington wrote:That is a smokingly good deal on a great window.
I'd strongly agree. At roughly $475 per window (before the laminated and tempered), that is on the very low side of where that product is typically sold. Assuming that you are dealing with a quality company, that deal is unbeatable. :D